British Gas quote for new boiler

msc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have got a quote from BG for a new boiler. They recommended a Bosch combi to replace the floor standing cast iron >30yrs age Cavalier Crane Boiler (in Kitchen). It is for CH and heats water via a indirect water cylinder. They have quoted £4000 all inclusive (seems expensive). I have been finding it difficult to get another quote from local plumbers (for a Vaillant or Bosch boiler). I suspect a reasonable sum would be £3000. PS the boiler would have to supply water to a new shower (no bath), basin and kitchen sink. BGs quote includes removing the cylinder, and water tanks in the loft. Thanks in advance for any advice.

msc

Sponsored Links
nobody can quote you on a forum, there are too many variables for anyone to give you even a rough figure. Get yourself a couple more quotes and go with the one you feel happiest with who can offer you a full guarantee and after sales back-up.

kevplumb said:
I have got a quote from BG for a new boiler

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BG pricing policy take the phone number and multiply it by a factor

BTW dont ask for prices (the mods dont like it) :LOL:

Well I suppose BG makes more money than most people :D

Sponsored Links
BG prices are ALWAYS over the top by about £1000.00 and it's not always the best job, shop around and preferably get someone recommended, you must know a friend neighbour relative or work colleage who can recommend someone reputable, unless you have no friends or are a hermit.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
BG prices are ALWAYS over the top by about £1000.00 and it's not always the best job, shop around and preferably get someone recommended, you must know a friend neighbour relative or work colleage who can recommend someone reputable, unless you have no friends or are a hermit.

The ones I was recommended did not even turn up :( So I do not have much faith in recommendations. I suppose I will have to ring up those listed on the corgi website for my area. Are Thames water any good at this sort of job (they seem to be offering boiler replacement as a service). PS, will vaillant/bosch combi boilers (condensing) last at least 5 years ?

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:

Not always pvm...BG will do a combi exchange fitting a worcester greenstar for 1500, I've seen loads of them.

Well from the quotes people have shown me personally over the years, I would not have believed the prices unless I had seen them with my own eyes, and it hasn't been for the best materials.
MSC, if they didn't turn up then they wern't reputable to start with, maybe whoever recommended them has a grudge against you.

Make your email address and area visible and you'd probably get some decent quotes - just a thought :)

bad thought :(

A favorite trick bg do is you need a new boiler so matter what the fault is and its £2000

ArtfulBodger said:
Make your email address and area visible and you'd probably get some decent quotes - just a thought :)

That a good point

email address removed

please note 14a

B.O.B DOLE said:
A favorite trick bg do is you need a new boiler so matter what the fault is and its £2000

Its not really a trick....when you get someone in to do a quote they will almost all tell you you could do with a new boiler.

If you mean advising someone their old, inefficient and short on parts boiler could do with upgrading then don't we all do that?....advising energy efficient upgrades is a requirement from the top after all.

Standard BG computer generated letter advises all customers with a boiler over ten year old that parts could be in short supply and advise new boiler,scare tactic that works. BG pricing policy can be very strange, as ollski says £1500 for wall mounted combi change (good price ) to one i went to this week for a ten year old worcester 350 floor standing where they wanted £6500 just for the boiler but give the sales man his due he said there was nothing up with the boiler and advised them not to bother for at least another 5 years which i confirmed with customer... As for original question as ollski says to many variables to give quotes out on a forum especially with all new regs etc

I have just paid £3,844.00 for a new Worcester Greenstar 30Si Combi Boiler, New Trvs on 6 old radiators, Power Flushing, Universal Timewatch & plus RS Thermastat, Condensate Soakaway, Horizontal Flue and New Gas Pipes externally. That was with £500.00 off too for my old boiler. I also have 1 Years Free HomeCare 200 for a full year.
They said i didn't need new raidiators.
Now i have constant banging when heating comes on. I didn't have this before. They are coming out tomorrow.
B.G. are very expensive but at least if there's any problems they come to see you the day after....
Cowboys you don't see them again.
Plus i will have all the relavant documents which you need if you move home after April 07 next year which will be law, to do with the new Homeowners Pack.
However,
I think B.G with the Interest they charge if you have the loan over 10 years with them is astronomical. They're APR is 19%!!!!
If i had took this option out i would have ended up paying over £8,000.00 for the new heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back