Are British Gas installers/quotes any good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents in laws boiler has been condemmed as the flue is loose, the boiler is 20years old and it was pumping out carbon monoxide. British Gas quoted £7000 for a new boiler and to fix a new flue. Its an old part thatched cottage so the walls are quite thick and the flue goes up 10 feet or so above single storey kitchen extension. However £7000 seems extortionate, and a quick search shows a couple of sites that are not complimentary to BG. Anyone with any experience of BG boiler replacement?

Sponsored Links
Bg are a rip off and fit cheap crap but charge for rolls Royce quality. Get 3 quotes from local gas safe engineers. I bet you can easily half tha 7k and still get a better job.

Any firm with big overheads will charge alot.bg are not unique in this.
Unfortunately you may get no better a product or quality from an independent.

Some bg lads are spot in,some are muppets,but every firm has the same mix,that's life.

If your not happy,get 3 quotes,but don't just time waste and grab the nearest 3,save your self and us wasted visits by at least getting 3 quotes from people recommended by folks you know.

Big statement dangermouse. What cheap crap do they fit? Won't find BG fitting any wickes specials like alot of engineers do.

Sponsored Links
BG have thousands of engineers varying from extremely good to extremely bad.
Fact is, that they do charge a lot, and rarely fit top products e.g. WB juior i-series for more than most independents would charge for a CDI, which is a miles better boiler than the i-model.

If the boiler is only condemned for a loose flue, it should be fine again after re-sealing it. Should be about £6900 less expensive than BG.

I have several pages on my website about condemned boilers that might give you a better idea about what it all really means.

This is one of them.

http://www.boiler-breakdown-repair-london.co.uk/condemned-boilers-in-bromley.html

Sorry, but I don't cover your area ;)

:D

My in laws have had several quotes the cheapest for £4000. It needs a new boiler and a complete new flue, and it looks as though they may be able to get a grant for half of this. Unfortunately they now need planning permission for the flue, which will take 6-8 weeks. Brilliant South Somerset district council you bunch of to***rs.

... it looks as though they may be able to get a grant for half of this.
A grant for half of it? I've heard of a freebie ( via warmfront which more likely than not will give you an inferior quality to say the least ), and of a £250 subsidy, but never of a 50% rebate.
How does that work?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you so sure it can not be repaired?

Big statement dangermouse. What cheap crap do they fit? Won't find BG fitting any wickes specials like alot of engineers do.

Mmmm, didnt ****ish gas fit the Trisave turbo, envoy, response, minimiser, Bahama, Barcelona , icos & isar, etc all of which are cheap crap.

The bg 330+ is a flexibom in disguise; a budget boiler for which they charge a premium price.

I would expect a decent Independant bloke to do the job for at least half of the BG price, and to better standards.....BG levy a charge for every single individual task required and it all tots up to a huge amount. Both my Family and the in-laws had boiler changes within six months of each other, I had a reliable independant and the inlaws had BG......With the same boilers being fitted (WB) the inlaws paid out over £3500, whereas we paid £1650, the only difference was the remote wireless thermostat the inlaws had fitted. and on top of that BG ran the condensate pipe in 20mm half way around the outside of the house and have had to return three times this year to sort it....eventually insisting on being paid £300 for a trace heating cable to be fitted..... Find a GOOD recommended independant......it will save you thousands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back