unable to beat british gas boiler quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've read British Gas replacement boiler quotes are expensive, but I've been getting quotes from two local plumbers and they are the same or more expensive.

It's a replacing an old non-condensing boiler with a combi in the same location, and BG are quoting £3500. The quote includes a powerflush and a magnetic filter, a new hole in the wall for the flue, and also disposal of the hot water tank and all the stuff in the loft. The estimator thought the job would take two days.

Looking at the cost of the parts they come to around £1500-£2000, so they are charging a lot for two days labour it seems to me, so why can't other plumbers beat their price?

One thing that appeals to me about the BG qoute is that it's fixed, so nothing extra to pay if it turns out more complicated.

Sponsored Links
Another thing to consider is if the job is anything other than a doddle, the independent will load it to make up for the aggro he will get.
The BG rep can't give a monkeys how difficult the job is because he has made up his quota and will not be the one doing it! ;)

We found the same on a rental it was and awkward job involving resiting the boiler BG were competitive.

Another thing to remember is the independents won't be getting the boiler at a severely discounted price as bg would, due to the sheer mass they install.

Also people have a very misguided view of what labour is. Most seem to think it is money in our pocket, but insurance, training, tools, van, fuel all have to be paid for.
Imagine going into work everyday and your boss keeps asking you to take a pay cut and oh also everything you use for your job is coming out of your wages....your desk, PC, pens, paper ect plus we're not giving you any holiday pay or sick pay.
That's what it's like to be self employed so labour is not just our wages it is business costs also and to think otherwise would be unsustainable we would be working for peanuts.

Sponsored Links
they probably could , perhaps they do not want the job to busy ??

Did you tell the others BG had quoted because a lot of people load there price thinking they will still be cheaper than BG but are making more money than they would normally charge.

I could comfortable do it for £1000 less than british gas. :)

For £3500 I'd even replace every radiator in the house. :)
You probably benefit from being in hampshire as british gas prices
are more nationwide. Where plumbers in hampshire are used to charging a premium.

thanks everyone, I'm guessing also that this time of year is a busier time for plumbers - would I be right in thinking they may be more competitive in the summer when there are no central heating breakdowns?

about daily rates, I was led to believe a general rule of thumb that a tradesman will normally charge around £150 for a days labour - for ones with more specific and in-demand skills up to £200, and for handyman maybe £100 a day. So at most for two days work replacing a boiler I can't see how it could come to more than £800 for two gas fitters, which means BG getting over 100% markup!

What about the fella from BG who had to look at the job & price it up , he does not do that for nothing he is on a wage ;) office time , profit , share holders etc

If BG are the cheapest go with them, also can't see them going bust so you have a stronger legal position if it goes tits up. Also under the warranty period they will be with you within 24 hrs (normally same day if called before 10).

For independents you have to rely on them fitting you in for breakdown , adjustments or others.
My last independent was very good but was always tied up in London so could not pop in for a good few days.

There are pros and cons you have better back up in my option from BG.

I have 2 babies in the house under 3 so my system working is imperative so I have the luxury of the vaillant boiler warranty as well as BG cover.

I would however give the estimator from bg a call back and do a bit of dealing I would want an extra 200 off to place order now sort of thing, tell bg they are the most expensive but you want to go with them so want to do a deal with them !

Also remember with independents you will get a 5 to 7 year manufacturers g`tee which after the first year of your bg gtee is up will cost you £200 a year with them so add another £800 onto bg price

Also the guy who quotes against BG may even be the same guy they pay to do yours after charging you a premium Because they are BG

I have 2 babies in the house under 3 -------- so my system working is imperative so I have the luxury of the vaillant boiler warranty as well as BG.

Dream land!

How much do you earn dragonfly from room 101? ... and I have the lever. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back