decent quality amplifier ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having hard wired my tv/sky distribution wiring throughout the house i now just need to fit a good quality 6/8 way amplifier/booster to distribute the tv/sky hd signal to each point... i have wired the main airial to the amp using pf100 sat grade co-ax then 1 to the lounge kitchen & several bedrooms..i have also wired a co-ax from the rf2 at the sky hd box back to the amp as well as well as prob to fit magic eyes at certain points...so can anyone recommend a reasonable priced decent quality amp to in order to acheive crystal clear pictures/audio etc cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
would the labgear distribution system from screwfix be compatiable ? code 69457-62 , 8 way £83.46.... if anyone has used the same amplifier ?" distribute any combination of sky,sky+,fm,dab,uhf, and cctv signals around the home,each version has the capability to combine satellite,fm,dab,uhf and cctv onto a single drop cable,with the addition of the facility of sky+,has seperate inputs for fm,dab,uhf,cctv,lnb1 and lnb 2,minimal insertion loss,9v 15ma with short circuit protection,12v 45ma line powering for masthead distribute rf channels around the house via uplink connection"
1) is this unit digi-eye compatiable
2)what cabling would i need to install to the unit to be able to receive dab etc
? + what type of outlet plates to use besides tv skts
3)what type of connectors does it require etc f-type...
4)or are there any more reasonably priced units you would reccomend for what i actually need as it isnt the cheapest...advice plz chris frost & co cheers again :)

First, don't put your satellite LNB feeds through the loft amp. It will cause you no end of grief. From the dish go straight to the Sky box. You can take an aerial feed from the Sky box back up to the amp to send Sky around your home. Trust me on this.

I've used loads of those amps in my business that you mentioned. I like them. They're Sky eye compatible and give good results.

The amp combines the various feeds from TV aerial (freeview), Sky RF2 output (Sky/Sky+/Sky+HD), FM aerial, DAB aerial, and - if you have it - an RF feed from the output of a CCTV system. It all goes down a single wire from each of the 8 output sockets. The wall plate at the other end splits the signal back by frequency. Your Freeview + Sky RF2 + CCTV comes out of the TV socket. FM and DAB radio come out of the FM/DAB socket. It really is that simple.

Satellite grade cable will work well for TV, FM and DAB aerials. You buy the right size and type ends to suit the cable and the socket on the amp.

Cheaper amps - You can save a tenner or so going for a slightly simpler version of the 681 from different manufacturers.

The second alternative is to wire your aerial in to the Sky box and use the RF2 output for Freeview and Sky's signal in to a basic aerial distribution amp. It's not the way I would do it. I think it involves too many compromises on flexibility and quality, but if saving £30-£40 is a big deal to you then it's an option.

If you want the whole thing made simple just drop me a line via private message and I'll put together a package for you. :)

Sponsored Links
yo chris just got in from working on the house and will check messages & get back to you mon night cheers again 4 good advice :)

hello again chris checked messages but its just showing blank screen ? bit late getting back to you as been working until 7/8pm sat/suns + 9pm during week on the house after work! lol...yeah i havent wired the lnb feeds through the amp chris..i took a shotgun cable from the existing dish straight to the lounge sky+ box position..from there i have run a pf100 cable (from rf2 output) straight to the amp to distribute tv/sky etc + control sky from any tv with digi-eyes.. i have run a pf100 from the main house airial on the chimney to the amp then from the amp a pf100 to the lounge tv,kitchen,3 bedrooms & the dining room 50inch wall mounted lcd/plasma(yet to purchase) . also to the lcd/plasma i have run 3 hdmi cables 1.4high speed hd,3d ready etc 1 for sky hd another for ps3/blu ray & finally 1 for laptop in dining room...i bought the labgear amp friday £80 electrafix price at screwfix..bought screw on f type ends to suit..will these be ok ? realise you can get crimped ends but is it worth me buying some crimpers £30 or so just for a few ends ? also chris i would like to make use of the rf output for cctv etc as would like to install 2 cameras rear/side of house! can you tell me what cabling i need to run to 1st fix before i put carpets back down etc + reccomend any reasonably priced cameras compatiable with the labgear system cheers :) finally do i need to run another co-ax to an airial to receive d.a.b thanks alot chris really good crucial advice..try pm again if you wish :D

If you already have the aerial amp then just follow the instructions on that. The inputs for each aerial type are clearly marked.

CCTV cameras - there are literally hundreds to choose from ranging from basic indoor/ low quality/cheapies through to high quality day/night with pan, tilt & zoom. Have a look online at what's available to suit your needs and budget. Whatever you buy the eventual output will need to be converted from video to an RF (aerial type) signal to be compatible with the aerial amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back