Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Potterton bolier seems to be working OK on heating, but it does not seem to be heating the hot water tank. Feeling the pipes to the hot water tank, they get hot for a short distance, but no further.

The same thing occurs whether the system is set for hot water only or for water/heating.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
:cry:

You are not alone!
My girlfriends hot water is similar, but we do get some sort of heat going into the tank. Just not enough to heat the water. We have put system cleansers in with no effect. Even turning off the radiators but keeping the heating circuit on doesn't help.

Have you tried bleeding any air out, as that might be a cause.

If you find the answer, let me know, it may resolve our problem

Put your motorized valve on manual ( a little handle on side,push it back and lock it in) Then switch on the hot water,if the hot water heating up then the motorized valve not working on auto via the programmer.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies and the comments.

On further investigation I found that the ballcock on the expansion tank in the loft had stuck closed & the water in the tank over a long period had evaporated away. So the system was being starved of water!!

After getting things going again all is now back in business.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back