Cold water temperature at the tap outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody think of a way around this problem, I have a mains flow hot water tank in the utility room next to the cold water mains stop cock. From the utility room both pipes run in 22mm copper with 9mm insulation in the 50mm kingspan insulation on the concrete floor. the kingspan was then fitted with red floor panels for underfloor heating pipes and the screed of 70-80mm. The pipes run for about 15 mtr under the screed and then rise into a ground floor bathroom to service that bathroom. They then rise in 15mm pipes about 4 mtr to the en-suite shower room above.
The problem I have is that the water in the cold tap on the en-suite basin takes about 90 seconds to cool down, it first comes out of the tap at about 14c runs for about 90 seconds to reach 6c. The flow rate on the tap is 6 ltr
Any help from anybody on this one ? Thanks Mick.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the pipes are only moderately insulated running through a heated floor. I don't suppose you want to take up the floor and start again. ;)

You haven't mentioned any delay getting hot water to the bathroom. Do you have a bronze pump circulating domestic hot water? 9mm insulation is inadequate for circulating DHW.

The cheapest solution to cold drinking water would be an ice bucket in the bathroom like they use in American hotels. Next, you could then go to a fridge in the bedroom. Ultimately, you could use a mole device to extend the water main underground to immediately below the bathroom.

What exactly is the problem you see with the water coming out closer to room temp ( as it would in the summer ) ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Fill up a jug and put it in fridge. Re-route cold feed.
Run it till cold (expensive on a meter?) or dig up floor and insulate the pipe properly.
Get a fridge with a cold drink dispenser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back