floor joist hangers,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, Im new to builing hence have many stupid sounding questions to be asked. please accept my appologies in advance

Whats the best way to install a suspended timber floor in a extension. should spaces be left in the inner blockwork, or can the brick and block work be taken all the way up without leaving any spaces,

ive read that floor joist hangers can be used with out leaving spaces in the block work, is that true? and is it safe?

thanks

Sponsored Links
This will be the best £18 you will ever spend

And will answer a lot of your other questions too

Hangers are used to avoid the necessity to build in joists. In a suspended ground floor, hangers have the advantage of reducing potential rot to joist ends built into walls

I think that's a bargain considering its content, maybe it also reveals what a valuable resource this free Forum is too? You've had about £500 free advice already and you've only be here a few weeks.

Sponsored Links
I totally agree freddy, as i've reverberated many times, you guy's are great!!!

You can download the chudley book for free. To answer your question there's a few ways to do it;
Build the joists in, this is quite old fashioned and I would wrap them in dpc or tar dip them as they enter the cavity (unlikely to get through modern insulation but why take the chance?)
Use joists hangers that wrap round the top of your clockwork, let the mortar take up before you fit these, your blockwork has to be cock on or you're packing or checking joists, bugger that!
Fit joists hangers to a bearer that you then bolt to the wall using thunderbolts and epoxy.

I bought my Chudley book from a jumble sale last year for 20p (20p for paperbacks, 50p for hardbacks). I had allready downloaded but had not read it on screen. I bought the Collins book of DIY many years ago.

Both books have mistakes and duff info mind you, Collins book on concrete measures are way off and it also has the 'Dry rot is a cancer' propaganda.

I also reccomendd diy001 purchases at least the Chudley

Thanks guys, i will try and download that book.
So guys just to be clear is it ok for me to build the cavity wall all the way up to roof with out any leaving cuts etc for floor joists?

Chapi, i got the previous info from readers digest manual, have you even got the manual?
If you have then look it up, I read it correct and like i said i was disbelieving of the stated foundation laying method. Hence the reason i asked for opinions. Please dont try and throw cheap insults!

Chapi, i got the previous info from readers digest manual, have you even got the manual?
I've got the manual, the wife bought it for me years ago in the hope I might do some DIY. You are dead right about the foundations, it does say hardcore first.
I am just about to start an extension on our house so I'm just off to the tip to get some materials.

Stuart why does it state that? Ive never heard it done that way before, and neither does everyone else it seems.

Readers Digest actually went bust a few years ago, and the reason was that all the DIYers were suing them due to pictures falling off the walls, wallpaper edges curling and extensions subsiding

no mate, i don't get my info from diy books. i was talking about reading the advice that people were giving you properly

"Hangers are used to avoid the necessity to build in joists. In a suspended ground floor, hangers have the advantage of reducing potential rot to joist ends built into walls"

"Fit joists hangers to a bearer that you then bolt to the wall using thunderbolts and epoxy."

Stuart why does it state that? Ive never heard it done that way before, and neither does everyone else it seems.
It's probably that they are thinking that as it works for a concrete path or floor it's the same for a concrete footing.
It's probably OK for a dwarf wall, but a building will compress the hardcore in time and cause uneven settlement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back