potterton profile 50e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my boiler occasionally won't fire up fully, by that i mean it will start, so get ignition and pilot light but it does not fully light. If I reach under and push the reset button really hard and keep my finger there for a few moments it fires immediately and stays on. But it sometimes can go out again, not fully, it leaves the pilot on and the pump running and if I press the reset it starts back up.
Looking at other similar problems on the site it seems as though my boiler may be overheating. But one curious thing is that if I give it an almighty thump where the thermostat control knob is it fires up! HR joint on the circuit board?
System (grundfos) pump runs okay with no undue noises at speed setting 3 and there appears to be no leak in the system. Cleaned and serviced 6 months ago.
Any help/advice much appreciated as dishwasher gone up the spout as well in solidarity!

Sponsored Links
Some things just aint what they seem :p , pressing that reset is possibly guiding you into thinking you have an overheat , when it happens again tap underside of controls panel & the boiler will most likely fire , these boards are notorius for relay issues...............i'd like a pound for every installer who's replaced board , fan , PS , air tubes , restrictors , flue assembly.............& still the boiler won't fire :eek: ................never think to check if pilot has extinguished when boiler shuts down (gas valve faulty), this will cause the fan to 'hunt' with no fire.........

As above , i suspect PCB is @ fault.

These are my experiances over 35 years in the trade , not copied off the internet or service manuals. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, thanks for all the info and advice. Do you think its worth pulling the board out and checking for a dry joint or should I just get a new one or have the old one checked and tested. Where would you get that done?
Once again thanks for all your input.
;)

Hey Doooooodle , go get yerself a new one , i remmember when they cost around £60. :cry:

:)

....do yer mean a boiler!!!!!
How much are the boards these days then or are they obsolete its about 10 years old now.
Just walked past it and out of spite its sitting there with just its pilot on so I gave it a thump and away she goes. Anger management classes next me thinks!!!

....do yer mean a boiler!!!!!
!!

:mrgreen: .....well , i remember when the old Potterton Dips/Cranes were around £40. :eek: :eek: :mrgreen: ...............without looking up the paperwork i think the boards are around £130/£150............can't remember

.....ahhhh memories eh! Okay I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back