sun booths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought a sun booth. with 40 x 160w lamps. Can i wire a 4.5mm spur into my ring main, it has a 35a mcb
can you help?. pj57

Sponsored Links
Well, 40 lamps at 160 watts each is going to be quite a load, 0.67Amps *40, say 27Amps steady state, not allowing for start up inrush, which may be a few times this.
Id suggest that if you were to put this on your ring main, you will have nothing left for any other appliences and will suffer from nuisence triping/ or blown fuses when trying to run sunbed plus toaster or iron or kettle or whatever.
Really it should be on its own radial supply back to the consumer unit, wired in 4mm or 6mm cable depending on the length, rather as an electricly heated shower or cooker with electric rings would be. If you dont have a free 'slot' in the consumer unit this could easily turn into a more complex job than you expected.

No - that's too much load to put onto one point of the ring - unless you can guarantee that nothing else will ever be used at the same time, you'll overload it, and unless it's pretty much at the "mid-point" of the ring you'll overload one leg whatever.

You need to put it on a dedicated radial circuit, wired in 6mm² (there's no such stuff as 4.5mm², BTW), on a 30/32A breaker (there's no such rating as 35A, BTW).

As this is a new circuit, it is notifiable work - are you aware of Part P?

Sponsored Links
Well - he did say MCB...

And you're right - the fact that we've never seen an MCB other than 30 or 32A, does not mean they don't exist.

But if they do, or if he meant fuse, I do hope he's not got a 2.5mm² ring on it....

sorry,your right its a 32a mcb. so if i have to install a radial circuit , can i use 4mm cable and run it outside in plastic conduit. on a new 32a mcb,
it would have to be app 15 metres long.

ban-all-sheds said:
As this is a new circuit, it is notifiable work - are you aware of Part P?

There you go ban, part P helps prevent cancer :LOL: :evil: ;)

sorry,your right its a 32a mcb. so if i have to install a radial circuit , can i use 4mm cable and run it outside in plastic conduit. on a new 32a mcb,
it would have to be app 15 metres long.

@pj57

can you clarify whether this cable run and conduit is being run outside the house??

It should be wored in SWA of outside the house, 6mm will be required and you will need a form of isolation at either end.

However i would say the best thing to do would be to have saved the money this thing cost you, fly to America, upset a Police Officer and get them to shoot you as the death would be far quicker than dieing of Lymphoma or other related skin cancers..

thanks guys, that was very helpful.
ok so 6mm in conduit wired up to a 35a mcb, run outside insulated both ends. wont worry about skin cancer ,its for the wife ,she will use it . she paid for it, i just put it all together. wot she want she gets!
:p

PJ...SWA..it will be easier and cheaper and also far stronger.

Not insulated both ends.......ISO lated!

I would hope the cable is insulated at both ends and in the middle.....

on the external walls of your home you will need to use galvanised steel conduit. As PVC conduit won't take much weather damage. Plus with the run you will have to take into account the 'factors' (OSG/ Regs) for the installation.

Also to my knoiwledge from my lecturers you should'nt put SWA into conduit.

Could be wrong could be right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back