Does a Gas meter need a cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be renting out a property and that has gas meter. Does the gas meter need to be enclosed within a cupboard? Someone told me it does, but it's in a very awkward place right next to a door. It would probably need to be a custom enclosure.

Sponsored Links
the meter needs to be placed where it wont get damaged, where it wont cause a nuisance and where it is generally safe, so thats open to interpretation whether it needs to be inside something

Thanks for the quick response.

So would any sort of protection be considered okay - or are there regulations that need to be abided by?

In my own house the gas meter has got an L shaped wooden enclosure, and a piece of wood sitting on top of that. Would something like that be acceptable?

if the meter is outside the property it needs to be inside a purpose made weather proof enclosure, there isnt anything written about what/how it should be made of if inside as far as i can remember, there MUST be easy access to the ECV to turn off the gas in an emergency, ie no tools req'd, and there must be reasonable access for the meter reader and enough access for maintenance and testing, so if you comply with all of that and protect it from damage etc then all will be good

Sponsored Links
if the meter is outside the property it needs to be inside a purpose made weather proof enclosure, there isnt anything written about what/how it should be made of if inside as far as i can remember, there MUST be easy access to the ECV to turn off the gas in an emergency, ie no tools req'd, and there must be reasonable access for the meter reader and enough access for maintenance and testing, so if you comply with all of that and protect it from damage etc then all will be good

It's indoors, in a common hallway.

I thought as much, and searching on the internet I couldn't find any rules/info on how gas meters had to be enclosed.

I was told by a chartered surveyor that it needs to be in a cupboard, not sure whether this was a recommendation or a requirement.

On a similar note, does the cupboard an electric meter's in need to be locked? I was advised the same on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back