Water filled radiator using a heating element!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am under the impression that it is possible to have lovely cast iron radiators in your home, even if you haven't got a traditional gas central heating system. I have found the electric heating elements and I am aware of the size of element needed for each size of radiator...

What I cant find is how to fill the radiator and how much air I should leave in to allow expansion - any ideas?

Thanks in advance[/list]

Sponsored Links
Good piece of advise, the inhibitor is to stop rust right? Do you think I would need a special devise to fill the radiator or not?

Good piece of advise, the inhibitor is to stop rust right? Do you think I would need a special devise to fill the radiator or not?

Yup, that's right, I just took the rad outside and filled it with a jug.

It was only a STD bathroom towel rad tho.

Sponsored Links
I am planning to do the same think inside the entire house. Before a start I would like to have some feedback on after the transformation. Also, How did you determine the need of watts (size) of the element for each radiator. Did you also instaled a thermo fuse as a security pressure.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am under the impression that it is possible to have lovely cast iron radiators in your home, even if you haven't got a traditional gas central heating system. I have found the electric heating elements and I am aware of the size of element needed for each size of radiator...

What I cant find is how to fill the radiator and how much air I should leave in to allow expansion - any ideas?

Thanks in advance[/list]

I am planning to do the same think inside the entire house. Before a start I would like to have some feedback on after the transformation. Also, How did you determine the need of watts (size) of the element for each radiator. Did you also instaled a thermo fuse as a security pressure.

Thanks

Bouben

I would love to give you an update however prior to the work commencing one of my neighbours decided to have a flood and my ceiling needed to come down... With that I decided to fit conventional central heating as I could hide the pipes in the ceiling.

Sorry to not be of any use, best of luck with your project though - I'm sure some useful so and so on this forum will pass on some useful info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back