Double glazed sealed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I am trying to work out how to remove a sealed unit that has blown.

Windows I have worked on in the past have a rubber seal holding a plastic strip in place; once the rubber is removed the plastic strips can be removed & the sealed unit drops out. On this unit I cannot see how the plastic strips are removed. I have attached two pics; one from the inside & one from the outside.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a wide sharp chisel or scraper and work it into the seam on the bead on the inside of the window. Start from the centre of the bead and once it has a hold you use steady pressure to lift the bead and free it from it's position. Be careful because it is easy to mark or damage the bed or frame. You'll need to determine which bead to start on also because some sit behind the others so you need the uppermost beads out first.

Its externally beaded so don't go forcing a sharp bladed implement in that groove looking line on the inside :D

Your second picture shows the the side beads are put in last so take them out first. Have you taken a rubber out from the inside? The outer rubber is part of the bead and is known as co-extruded bead

Gents thanks for the replies.

The first picture is of the inside of the window (no rubber) & the second picture is the external; with a small rubber strip that is attached to the plastic.

I have removed nothing so far; or even attempted as like you say I don't know whether to work from the inside or outside first.

Previous units I have worked on had rubber strips internally that you could pull out gently; & then there would be enough play to work with.

Sponsored Links
Well seeing as its externally glazed then for security it'll be held in on glazing tape, you'll need to stanley knife through this on the inside then flick the beads out and pop the glass out, if the internal gap where you usually remove a rubber is minimal then the glazing tape will be around 2mm thick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back