Replacing a ceiling - advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My porch ceiling is a little worse for wear after the flat roog leaked (roof has been replaced). The dimensions are approx 6' x 6', so replacing the ceiling shouldn't be too difficult [gulp!].

I want to try sorting this myself and was wondering if I need to plaster/skim the plasterboard (hopefully not). I want a nice smooth finish - ie, not artexing. Can I just paint the plasterboard, and if so, do I need a special type of paint to seal it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
gyproc drywall sealer.

You will have to tape and fill the join in the p/b.

Yes, all the products you need for the job are in Alastairs link and with such a small area you should be able to get away with just one joint to fill.

You can use watered down emulsion to seal but the proper plasterboard sealer is the made for the job and would be my recommendation too.

If you haven't done something like this before you might want to get more info on what's involved as taking a ceiling down can be a messy job.

If you are going to board - tapered boards should allow you tape and fill rather than skim. There's plenty of good info on the plastering forum.

If you're able to skim - I assume you've considered skimming existing ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys....

Yes, I'm expecting there to be an awful mess, but luckily our porch is quite small and everything (coats, etc) will certainly be removed beforehand.

If I am just going to paint the boards, surely the tape show under the paint?

I'm afraid that I've never skimmed before and would rather avoid doing so. The existing ceiling is very much beyond repair and really needs replacing.

I did get a quote a while back (somewhere in the region of £120) but thought that I could try it myself with the materials only costing £20 or so.

If I am just going to paint the boards, surely the tape show under the paint?
Not if done correctly, in my experience, but see here for some contrasting opinions.

I did get a quote a while back (somewhere in the region of £120) but thought that I could try it myself with the materials only costing £20 or so.
Skimming a ceiling is generally not a job for a first-timer. Taping is more forgiving as you can sand excess filler but it still takes a bit of skill and having the correct tools help.

It would be a good size area to practice on if you're keen to learn but if you're not that bothered you might be better off spending the £120 by the time you buy tools and put your hours in.

Thanks again guys - some really useful info there.
I've also taken a look at youtube and found a whole host of videos on the subjects of drywall ceilling and taping.

As Sixeigth said, its a goiod size to try out. I'm a tight b'stad, so shelling out £20-£30 instead of £120 is always going to be a winner in my book.
OK, so it's probably going to cost me a lot of blood, sweat and tears!

One of the YT videos mrntioned glueing and screwing the boards - what are you thoughts on this?
I quite like the idea of using something like "no more nails" - if only to help with getting the boards up and in place before screwing (or nailing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back