Need advise from a gas expert please.........

L

lousam

Hi
I have made a special oven which cooks a product called Kurtos kalacs. We sell two versions in the EU. An electric oven and a gas oven. In the EU we fit a 50mbar regulator and the oven cooks perfectly which connects to a bottle of LPG gas. We have just shipped an oven to the USA and the regulator that we fit as standard will not fit to the gas bottles there. The customer now needs to buy a new regulator however he can only find two kinds. Either 34.5 mbar (0.5 psi in the US) or 69 mbar (1 psi in the US).

We have actually tried a 30mbar regulator before and the oven didnt get hot enough to bake the product.

I do not understand gas that well. So I want to know if I suggest a 69mbar regulator will it harm the oven's burners?
The oven has two burners, one at each side. Each burner is 2.7kw
Hope someone can help, or maybe send me a link to a good source of information.
Is there a rule or way of working out which regulators for which kind of gas to what kind (kw) burners you need to power?

Thanks!
Louise

Sponsored Links
I have made a special oven

We sell two versions in the EU.

I do not understand gas that well.

Is there a rule or way of working out which regulators for which kind of gas to what kind (kw) burners you need to power?

WOW! and I thought FocalShite were bad!

fit an adjustable reg to it,they vary outlet pressure from 52mb to 150mb outlet,capacity is 4kghr max,it will suit americans as it is 1/4x3/8 bsp the range for the us will be 20"-60"wg available mail order.hopefully it will be up and running for the fourth of july ;) make up for the friendly fire ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments. The ovens ARE approved for the EU and have CE certification. Its not the EU that I was asking the question about BUT the American market.

My question was if I was to tell the customer to fit the higher rated regulator, what would be affected. How would the oven cook differently? Or wouldnt it? Would the oven be hotter inside? Would it damage the oven?

With regards Numpys great responce, where can I buy this regulator via mail order? Could you tell me the exact name of it and maybe a link?

Thanks
x

800px-K%C3%BCrt%C3%B6skal%C3%A1cs.jpg

this junk

Thanks again Numpty. Just to clarify. If I buy this part and ship it with my ovens, will the American customer be able to then attach this to the bottle of Propane that is available in the USA? The problem was I did ship it with a regulator from EU (50mbar)but it wouldnt fit to the gas bottle there. They are different fittings. Will this fit? Or do they also have to buy something? Sorry for all these questions...

different codes for different states in the land of the free,any decent gas fitter in the states would be able to adapt it to fit subject to code.

Adapt what? The gas regulator that I send with the oven or the gas regulator that you have suggested to buy (the link you sent?)

Why not set up an agency for your product with a US catering supplier they could then undertake the fitting of a suitable regulator and perhaps offer aftersales in the US on your product (I assume that you do have an aftersales team to handle warranty issues?????) :confused:

Thanks boilerman. The problem is that we are not mass selling this product and the US is huge. Our policy is that we offer a 1 year warranty and if anything goes wrong we will send the customer spare parts and we shall contact a local gas fitter / electrician to make the repair and we shall pay them for their time.

We have made and sold in the EU for a number of years and have not had anything go wrong so far. These ovens are like tanks! built to last.

Thanks boilerman. The problem is that we are not mass selling this product and the US is huge. Our policy is that we offer a 1 year warranty and if anything goes wrong we will send the customer spare parts and we shall contact a local gas fitter / electrician to make the repair and we shall pay them for their time.

We have made and sold in the EU for a number of years and have not had anything go wrong so far. These ovens are like tanks! built to last.

Any chance of a link to your product?

You say that you operate these ovens on 50 mB in the EU.

You can only find a 69 mB regulator in the US.

Is the burner gas supply varied by a control knob in the oven so the user can adjust the flame size and thus compensate for the increased pressure?

You cannot assume that the burner and particularly the air supply will enable safe operation without producing carbon monoxide if you increase the supply pressure.

My strong advice is that you actually test a boiler at 69 mB to ensure that it will be safe to use at that supply pressure.

Normally if a higher gas pressure was used then smaller jets would be fitted to maintain the same power output and thats what I would expect you to do.

Fitting an adjustable regulator would get it working but could not be a safe solution as someone might set it too high.

As a manufacturer I would have expected that you would have had gas design engineer who deals with these matters!

Fitting smaller jets to suit the 69 mB apparently used in the US seems to me to be the only solution!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back