Basement tanking/ cellar damp proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to install a damp proof membrane in my cellar and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what type of membrane to go for.
I have very limited knowledge of this topic but from what I know you get special plugs which are used to secure the membrane to the wall.
Another question I have is when membrane has been fitted do you have to fit a wooden battens on top or can you just fir the plasterboard on direct?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Essentially there are two methods of keeping water out when access to the outside of the wall is unavailable.

The first is a bitumous membrane or 'waterproof' render stuck to the inside of the wall. These systems rely on very high quality workmanship and attention to detail for a 100% success. These methods rely on sealing up the wall to ensure no water or damp can penetrate. Easier said than done. They also rely on something on the inside such as a block wall to hold them in position against the pressure of the damp trying to push them of the surface of the walls.

The other is a 'free to drain' method is a dimpled plastic membrane system such as Newton 503 mesh http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/products/product.aspx?productId=57&catID=5 This membrane allows any moisture to get through the wall and if there are any droplets it trickles down the wall into a gulley at the junction of the floor and the wall. It is importanat (and may be quite tricky for you to ahcieve as you have done a floor membrane already though) that the new wall membrane is joined properly with the floor membrane and drain though: refer to the drawing mentioned at the end. This gulley needs to run around the perimeter of the below ground walls and needs to lead to an outside wall and exits through to the outside so no need for a pump. The beauty of this system is that it still allows the damp to penetrate the masonry but it cannot penetrate the membrane and is drained out to the outside. It is suitable for DIY and is quite forgiving as waterproofing methods go. Not particularly cheap to install I grant you but given that other methods are a lot more susceptible to failure this method could easily work out to be the cheapest in the end and is fairly foolproof for DIY. You can then render or stick insulated plasterboard to the inside directly to the membrane. Have a look at the manual http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/content/PDFs/InstallationManual_System500_Jan10_LQ.pdf page 31 drawing JN5012

The BBA certificate give pretty clear instructions on installation page 5 http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/content/PDFs/503 Mesh BBA.pdf

Feel free to ask any questions.

thanks for your reply, I think I will go with the membrane method.
I was also wondering if you could tell me how I should work out the amount of timber I need. how far apart must I put the timber battons? is it 600mm?
and I have been on wickes but not sure which type I need exactly.
thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're opting for a Newton type solution personally I'd look to do insulated plasterboard on dabs and avoid any fixings penetrating the membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back