Boiler Clanking when hot water comes on but doesnt heat wate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an Apollo 30s boiler servicing a 2 bed house that since yesterday has been clanking really loudly from the boiler, up through the water pipes and not heating up the water at all. I had the fan replaced about 18 months ago after that died, and it had been fine since then.
I have bled the radiators incase it was air, but dont know what else to do.
Any ideas anyone?
ty

Lizz

Sponsored Links
ok found the pump in the airing cupboard next to the emersion and the big tank, but dont know how to see if its working

You should be able to hear it although they are usually quiet, also put your hand on it and you will feel it vibrating. Banging can also be caused by trapped air preventing circulation (if pump is working). By the pump there you probably have a piece of vertical pipe that ends with a bleed valve on the top, unscrew that (slowly and don't take it off) and see if you get air coming out of it, if not, you will get water. If you have air coming out keep it open until all the air is out (water starts to come out). If that gets you going you may want to run for awhile, then switch everything off and try the bleed valve again.

Sponsored Links
If you change the pump speed while it's on, you should feel the difference, unless it has stopped.
Usually, the big central screw reveals the end of the shaft which should be spinning (dribbles).

Check that the SMALL header ank , for the heating, has water in it.

Thanks for all the replies, but being a mear woman i didnt think i should start tinkering about with things i wasnt sure of, so i got a bloke in, who said the cold feed to the pump was blocked which he sorted but the pump had burnt out probably due to the water not getting to it, so he changed that aswell, and serviced my boiler took him about an hr and a half in all, all for £65, cant be bad, can it, Am sure my ample heaving cleavage may have got me some money off though lol

Suprised it didn't take a day and ahalf by the sound of it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back