Ceiling fan needs a push

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ceiling fan has been 5 yrs old. Its been running well all these while until a couple of days ago when I needed to give a push to the blade before it starts to rotate. What is the problem and how can I fit it?

Sponsored Links
My ceiling fan has been 5 yrs old. Its been running well all these while until a couple of days ago when I needed to give a push to the blade before it starts to rotate. What is the problem and how can I fit it?

It is probably irreparable. But more worrying, when switched on and not rotating it could be getting seriously over heated.

Sponsored Links
Claggy moving parts, dismantling & cleaning, reassembly and a spot of light machine oil are the same the whole world over.

Guys, I really appreciate your replies.
The next step is;
I will do the necessary checking and dismantling and will share the outcome when its all done - hopefully the right way. Otherwise, I will have to get a new one!
Thanks anyway.

Thanks for all the responses.
I wanted to take one of the fan down and know what I finally decided its not my cup of fan - so to speak! I know nuts about electrical connections and I knew this when I saw all kinds of colored wires there. Rather than risk a shock - or it may even be worse - I passed the duty to the guy who knows it better. And I decided to also change the dining hall ceiling fan too -- so now I have 2 brand new shining, latest technology fans with ABS blade.
I can do some simple DIY things that do not require any 'serious' electrical wiring - and I may elect to look up basic wiring lessons over you tube!!

Have a fun day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back