Vent Axia Extractor Fan not working - "twitching"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can't think of another word, but my Vent Axia VASF100T stopped working about a week ago. When I take off the fan cover to show the fan blades with the isolation switch on, the blades are what can best be described as twitching. They are rotating maybe 2mm ever second or so, but never properly working. And there is a very faint noise as it tries to turn. So there's clearly power to the motor and is trying to turn, but suggests the motor is buggered.

With the isolation switch turned off I have been moving the blades freely so there isn't an obstruction.

The fan itself is only about 4 years old although is in our main bathroom so runs the most of those in our house. The other fans in our house also run a reasonable amount and are running fine.

Is there anything I can do, short of getting an electrician and probably replacing the fan?

Thanks,

Ciaran

Sponsored Links
Might be a stating capacitor.
Perhaps you mean a starting capacitor?

But I rather suspect that the OP’s skill might not extend to fault finding and repair to that level.

@ringzer Does the fan run if you push the blades? If so, it probably isn’t the capacitor.
Easiest would’ve to replace the fan. It’s a DIY job. Don’t buy a budget fan though, some of the cheap ones only last a few years!

Sponsored Links

But I rather suspect that the OP’s skill might not extend to fault finding and repair to that level.

@ringzer Does the fan run if you push the blades? If so, it probably isn’t the capacitor.
Easiest would’ve to replace the fan. It’s a DIY job. Don’t buy a budget fan though, some of the cheap ones only last a few years!
And the noise starts getting louder almost as soon at fitted... get a decent replacement

I'm work in computers and have done soldering in the past to replace batteries on electric toothbrushes, but I draw the line well before it gets to 230V! A new VentAxia fan will be about £50 and I have an electrician due to come in 2 weeks to do some other work, so will get him to sort.

Nope

A quick google found this, though as TTC says above, may be out your depth and likely uneconomical for the average person.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repai...repair-ventaxia-vasft100-pulses-or-runs-slow/

Thanks for sharing - interesting and I will definitely take apart the old fan to see what went wrong and if a very easy fix will keep around should another one kick the bucket. But it's just not worth the time and possible risk of getting it wrong. Guy on the video even says at the end that it may not be worth it.

I'm work in computers and have done soldering in the past to replace batteries on electric toothbrushes, but I draw the line well before it gets to 230V! A new VentAxia fan will be about £50 and I have an electrician due to come in 2 weeks to do some other work, so will get him to sort.
I wouldn’t hesitate. 3.3v is nowhere near 240v and it’s a five minute job.

Either is fine - the voltage of the replacement just shouldn't be lower. Physical size tends to increase with voltage.

No, those magic wands are unreliable. Bin it and get a proper 2 pole tester or a multimeter.

I researched volt indicators before I bought it a few months ago and it's worked fine.

I've looked online just now to see about their accuracy and can't find anything.

Can you share some details on why they are unreliable?

Thanks

I researched volt indicators before I bought it a few months ago and it's worked fine.
The basic problem with those is that only indicate the presence of a live voltage.
As you probably know, for something to work if needs a live and a neutral. A magic wand won’t show you if the neutral is, or isn’t there. And half of circuit faults are due to the absence of the neutral. So you’ll need a proper tester.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back