vent axia silent fan..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all just after some help with the above fan..wiring method used is mains into a jb then from jb a switch wire to a pull cord and also from the jb a 4 core to a isolator and finally a 4 core to the fan..the fan only starts if i give the blades a small push..when the pullcord is pulled i get 240 between sl and n and then when pulled again 0 volts between sl and n so the switch is working as designed....the fan also wont turn of even after settingthe timer to the lowest time..the fan is the vent axia tile fan advertised as the qhietest fan around..i can only think the fan is knackered..any thoughts.. i took the fan out if the wall and switched it on and again no movement on the blafes

Sponsored Links
I take it there's a permanent live to the fan too.

You need to test for voltage between the following and let us know the results:

First with the switch OFF

L>N
SL>N
L>E
N>E

Then the same tests again with the switch ON

This will confirm that the supply is definitely ok, and that it is a faulty fan.

Sponsored Links
Switch off l-n 240
Sl-n 0 volts

Switch on 240 both l-n and sl-n

Didnt test to earth as main switch rcd

if the fan wont start without you giving it a helping hand, it suggests that power is getting to the motor, but its likely that the motor is faulty or the shaft is too tight for the motor to start movement by itself. If its brand new, take it back and dont play with it.

Do some fans need a link between pl and sl on the fan?? It seems the fan once i push it recognises it has a pl therefore continuallly runs...if the switching is the only way of telling the fan to turn on then off for x amount f minutes then is it wanting a link..logically i cant seee why it would.. the fans has motor terminals 123 and 1 and 3 are default set for slow speed..i changed it to 1 and 2 for high speed and it wouldnt start even with a push

if you link permanent live to switched live, then the fan will run all the time while the isolator is turned on and im sure you dont want that...

The fan should work as follows:

Turn on the pull cord, switched live gets energised. Fan starts.

Turn off the pull cord, switched live is de-energised. The timer circuit is activated and the fan continues to run using the permanent live until the timer sequence has finished. The fan will the switch off when the timer opens the built in switch.

I im aware of that im just clutching at straws really...bloody frustrating..thanks for replys i will take it back

Just reporting back to offer closure on this.. went back tonight and moved the motor cables from terminals 1-3 which is slow speed to 2-3 high speed and the fan worked fine..customer now wants a fan with a neon on to show when switched or not.....which i suggested to start with lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back