Prepping Ceiling - Matt Over Silk Emulsion + Stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I realise that the above may have been covered [separately] before but was wondering if there is a single solution that I can use to resolve both problems.

I am about to redecorate the bedroom and prefer to use matt instead of the silk currently on it. There are also blob shaped stains wherever there is a fixing.

I have read about using a 'Soft Sheen' Emulsion as a primer/undercoat before the Matt finish coat but fear this will not blot out the marks caused by the Plasterboard fixings (galvanised nails). I am wondering whether to use an all purpose oil based primer instead? I have used 100 grit sand paper to provide a key but want to be sure I am going about it the right way before I start painting.

The room is part of an extension built about 8 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you were right to sand and remove the shine, also Soft Sheen is often used in these situations yet if the sheen has been removed by sanding a slightly thinned Matt would be fine. Can you offer a little more info on these stains, are these nails starting to protrude through the ceiling??

Dec

The nails themselves have not started to protrude but due to movement they had pushed out the plaster in places but in other places they still seem to be where they should be but have a dark stain showing where they are located. Having seen the heads of one or two (where they expelled the plaster) they seem to be galvanised but the builder who 'developed' (if that is the term) certainly cut some corners. [/url]

I thought it may be the case, if these were what you could term as secure then an oil based undercoat would be more than capable of blocking them. Yet I feel your problem to be a little deeper. I think you should ask this question on the Plasterers sub forum for their opinion, they will be able to offer you better advice with regard to this problem.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dec

I always wary about posting a Q on more than one part of the Forum.

Just ask for their advice regarding the protruding nails and the staining around some of them, there are some good spreads on there and they will help you.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back