lv/led downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am after some energy efficient l/v prob led downlights for my kitchen.. im looking at fixed chrome lights,also their is insulation in the ceiling void where they are to be fitted...is there any on the market that cater for thermal insulation in close proximity without the need for a guard over each light..which i could fit although would have to take floorboards up..the other option would be to rip out the insulation around each light..anybody reccomend any cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
Not cheap but very good quality. These LED downlights also maintain the fire rated integrity of the ceiling provided the ceiling is rated for 30-90 minutes. You will not need an additional cover for these but you must ensure they are not in contact with any insulation.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HLCNWslashD.html

I must also add that I personally am not a big fan of downlights for primary lighting/They are just not an efficient way to illuminate a room but are perfect for accentuating feature walls etc. Just an opinion :)

I just read your note about tearing the insulation. In which case it may be wise to fit these as well.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html

When running the wiring remember that it (none of it) must contact the thermal insulation. It's not just the lights its also the wiring.

LED lights draw very little current but the cables must not contact thermal insulation for several reasons.

Sponsored Links
cheers all replies and yes there is thermal insulation fitted inbetween the ceiling and floorboards..i can try rip it out around the lights to be fitted + will look at these lights from tlc :)

cheers all replies and yes there is thermal insulation fitted inbetween the ceiling and floorboards..i can try rip it out around the lights to be fitted + will look at these lights from tlc :)

These lights give slightly more lumens than a 50w GU10 - so, depending on the size of your kitchen, expect to install four in your kitchen to get a minimal spread of light. You will probably need to install under cupboard lights as well to improve your working conditions.

They also have a beam angle of 34degrees - which gives approximately 1.8m floor level spread from 3metres.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/article/spotlight-beam-angles/

It's not too late to install proper lighting in your kitchen.

swaying towards some lv dimmable fire rated mr16 35watt chrome downlights from screwfix reasonably priced tbh + readily availible off shelve... are mr16 lamps any more efficient than other types of lamps eg gu10 etc ? cheers :)

riverraft when you say its not 2 late to install proper lighting in kitchen ..what do you install yourself then ? cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back