unknown plumbing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst on holiday in Turkey recently, I noticed that they were using a plumbing system that was basically a kind of electrical iron that had a male and female socket, onto which they put the pipes and fittings on and then pushed them together, which melted them together. Does anyone know what this system is called? Is it available in the UK?

Sponsored Links
That method is use to join plastic gas main among others. I believe its called fusion welding. Seen it used by gas utilities.

Electrofision. It is used on both gas and water.

There are 2 types, socket and butt.

Electrofusion socket:
58100313_4.jpg

An electric current is passed through a wire in the fitting via the 2 electrodes protruding from the fitting whilst it is on the pipe, creating heat and melting/welding the fitting to the pipe.

Butt weld:
plastics-welder-training-butt-fusion-and-electrofusion-welding-atc64.jpg

The ends of the pipe are melted, then the plate is removed and the ends of the pipe are pushed together.

Are you talking about domestic sizes?

Sponsored Links
Vulcathene is a waste system for laboratories.

A Vulcathene Enfusion joint is made in almost the same way an electrofusion joint is; the pipe is pushed into the fitting, power is introduced to wires within the fitting and hey presto.
The only difference is that Vulcathene fittings are clamped onto the pipe during the fusion process.

Thanks for the help..But the system i saw was much simpler. It was just a kind of free - standing, electric iron, that had what looked like sockets, that heated. The plumber put the pipes onto the sockets for a few sec's and pressed them together. that simple!

A friend told me they use this system in Eastern Europe quite a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back