What Lock? uPVC Door on my Gas/Electric meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What lock could I install on my uPVC door that gives access to the Gas/Electric meters...

All the houses in my area have these and I'm not happy that Joe Bloggs could simply open the door and poke around!

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the reason there is no lock is to allow meter readers to access it while you're out.

If you insist on locking it then you could probably replace that handle with a locking upvc door handle.

I'm guessing the reason there is no lock is to allow meter readers to access it while you're out.

If you insist on locking it then you could probably replace that handle with a locking upvc door handle.

That's the obvious reason, and I've no problem with that, but... I'm just a bit worried about potential problems that will probably never occur, but may...

A lot of people have built porches around their front door area, which actually makes the meters internal and not accessible to meter readers etc so I'm guessing it's not a 'legal issue' to lock it.

I submit my readings monthly anyway.

I'm just not sure what type of lock I'd need.

I thought about ones like what windows have, with push locks that stop the handle from moving when the button is pushed in, however the current handle is on the frame of the door and not the door bit, so something like that wouldn't actually do anything, unless it had a notch that keeps the door shut.

As you can tell, I'm limited by my ability of describing things, so I've no idea what I need to be looking for. What I want probably has a simple name...

Aha, seek (properly) and ye shall find.

A Sash Jammer looks like it would do the job, but the current holes where the existing handle is screwed in probably wouldn't be covered by one.

Therefore a Cockspur Handle (correct terminology?!) is probably what I'm after.

Sponsored Links
you might consider fitting some kind of window in the door so the meter reader can do his job

I believe the utility co's have an anti-vandal lock they fit to cabs in high-risk areas. You could ask for one. Does your have a budget lock operated by a triangular key?

you might consider fitting some kind of window in the door so the meter reader can do his job

I believe the utility co's have an anti-vandal lock they fit to cabs in high-risk areas. You could ask for one. Does your have a budget lock operated by a triangular key?

At present it doesn't have a lock... I could perhaps get the dremel out and cut a couple of windows in the door...

I think I'd wait until they complained before doing that though.

if you can get a budget lock to fit, operated with a normal triangular key (the meter readers carry one) you will have brought it up to normal standard.

I doubt it would cost as much as £5

search for "meter box lock" or "meter cupboard lock"

Gone for a locking cockspur for £4 on ebay, will see how that works out.

Currently working out 'window' options for the meter... I'd want it to blend in so have a white 'door' to slide up/pull up to reveal the window and therefore the meter... One for a rainy day...

if you can get a budget lock to fit, operated with a normal triangular key (the meter readers carry one) you will have brought it up to normal standard.

I doubt it would cost as much as £5

search for "meter box lock" or "meter cupboard lock"

Nail on head, so to speak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back