Do I need a new fuse board *pics*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
The shower should have RCD protection, looks like you have had a big bang! Has there been a problem with that circuit?
As for replacing the old fuse box, has it been causing problems, is it dangerous? If not you do not need to.
The cost of the change will depend whether a new RCD protected Consumer Unit can be fitted to your system without any additional work needed for the change. Older wiring installation can sometimes not be RCD friendly and cause the RCDs to trip. So that would need to be tested for, prior to any change. So a PIR would be recommended as a most do, if you are considering the change.
You only look to a have a small number of circuits.
So you would be looking at a cost of around £300-400, providing the circuit tests okay on PIR.

well strangely the whole of the upstairs lights have cut out and I can't sniff out the problem, the living room lights work, but the kitchens and upstairs doesn't, but I don't have enough notes to replace the whole board.

Oh the shower was faulty and it caused the fuse to explode, so I want to replace the unit with an rcd, do I keep the fuse box and add a rcd or just have an rcd? how much would a sparkie charge to do it with parts and labour (rough estimate) the wiring is fine.

I could be replaced with a shower unit CU, which will have breaker and RCD for protection. Depending on quality of unit they can start at around £20.
The electrician would need to do some calcs and testing to check cable is still
suitable and certs etc.. if all is fine. Remove old, install new, test and sign off. That can be done within a couple of hours. I'd consider £70-100. To be fair.
For the lights you need to have a look for loose connection at the terminals of the fittings, if one has come loose it can effect the rest of the lights after that point. Isolate before poking around.

Sponsored Links
Why is the supply to the shower fuse wired into the fuseboard and not taken to a henley block inside the trunking and then to the meter?

I suspect the lighting and shower faults are related.

Why is the supply to the shower fuse wired into the fuseboard and not taken to a henley block inside the trunking and then to the meter?
Probably because there is no isolator between the suppliers fuse and the fusebox.
Cheaper just to stick it in the fusebox than call out and pay for the DNO to remove the fuse while the work is carried out and refit the fuse after it has been done.

henley what! the shower has its own fusebox and is already wired to the shower, so just need to install an RCD, as for the loose connection, where is it, could I do a temporary fix, and is the shower wired straight into the main fusebox? is it dangerous?

and money is a little tight at the mo, just need the shower and lights working without changing the whole thing.

Dont you just love that fused spur in the centre of the photo.... looking at the cable which exists & goes through the wall.... whats the betting that was fitted by an alarm installer........

Ha ha it's got to have been :LOL:

As for the installation, personally I'd recommend having the whole lot inspected, and I'd expect to replace all the mains as a minimum.

It's hard to tell if any of the earth wires are for bonding, but even if they are, they look undersized to me.

:eek: If that's SELV 6 core supplying mains to the panel, I'd change it pronto!!

Piggy backing 6 milli off the main switch terminals stinks of cowboy to me.

Doesn't look like any PEB to the gas.

Consumer units not sealed to IP, fusecovers missing, and exposed live parts.

Hi Jay,

I think the main jist is - your shower fusebox has been incorrectly installed. It should be connected via Henley blocks to the supply as apossed to the current fusebox.

You can't correct this yourself, due to the Part P thing - so get an electrician in.

Don't be tempted to just replace the shower & leave things as they are, because the current fuseways aren't rated for anything over 30A.

As for your lighting issue - it's a process of elimination (not illumination) - be methodical & safe in your approach.

what does that mean in english :O

:eek: If that's SELV 6 core supplying mains to the panel, I'd change it pronto!!

If that thin white wire leaving the fused spur in the middle is connected to the mains, it needs replacing with something more suitable. If it is not connected to the mains, it should be re-routed.

Piggy backing 6 milli off the main switch terminals stinks of cowboy to me.

The L&N wires feeding the R/H CU need removing then connecting to a 100A junction box. Then two pais of wires need connecting to this JB, one feeding the R/H CU and the other the Shower CU.

Doesn't look like any PEB to the gas.

There should be a 10mm2 earthing conductor connected between the gas pipe and the main earth terminal.

Consumer units not sealed to IP, fusecovers missing, and exposed live parts.

Cable entry holes need sealing up, fusecovers should be refitted and a fuse blank fitting to the exposed way on the R/H side of the L/H CU.

You may also need to fit PEB to the water pipe and RCD protection.

You need to check that the shower circuit is rated for the shower it is feeding.

Do your lighting circuits carry a CPC (earth conductor)?

There are many considerations. It may be best to get a qualified guy in to sort these out.

If you want to DIY, ensure you understand what needs to be done & how to do it, notify the work to your LABC if in England & Wales and don't do anything on the cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back