Cost of Solar PV panels installation

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Has anyone recently had it done or had a quote? SSE have just quoted me about £8.5k for a 2.2kW peak system. I heard it was usually in the £10-£12k range. The salesman said they have recently reduced prices as panels have come down. Using the calculator suggests I should get about £1k per year back, which is more that I expected.

This thread is just about prices, if you want to talk about usage or desirability of PV, please use the other thread.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine recently had a 4kW system installed for £13000 all in, so your quote sounds about right. It should only take 7 years to pay back.

This thread is just about prices
I'd like to talk about prices.

Are they based in any way on you getting paid with money which is taken from people who already have less of it than you?

If the govt are that stupid, then there are plenty of people willing to take advantage of it. I dont see the need for the FIT, why cant the suppliers just pay us the going rate for a KW for each one we feed into the grid? If we dont use it but feed it back through the meter, then we should be paid, but if we generate it and use it, then why should we recieve any money for it, never mind 40p!? Its crazy.

Sponsored Links
This is Electrics UK forum not ethics or a social wealth discussion. Please refrain from insulting people on here. Thankyou.

This is Electrics UK forum not ethics or a social wealth discussion. Please refrain from insulting people on here. Thankyou.

Are we allowed to discuss "Health and Safety"?

If we are, then you accept that that related topics should be able to be part of any open discussion, as long as it is not done in an insulting manner.

Open to comments

It is indeed crazy.

I'm waiting for the day when pv owners are paid not to generate. Sounds crazy? Well, it's happened with wind farms that have been paid £1,000s to stop generating.

Click

The worst aspect of the cross subsidies in the electricity market is that they are all hidden to a greater or lesser extent, so that no one knows what the total is.

What I dont get is the Govt could easily remove the FIT and then hundreds of these "rent your roof off you" companies would instantly go bust.

They have millions of pounds tied up in PV panels on peoples roofs, which will take at least 7 years to break even. If the FIT were removed I guess they would still get the nominal 6p? per unit. But its nothing compared to 40p and they would take much longer to break even, by which point the panels may have become unserviceable.

So if someone took on the £99 deal to get the panels, then the gov removed the fit that the companies get - would that mean that they would get next to nowt from the panels?

And the consumer still gets their free leccy during the day.

The company that owned the panels would go into liquidation, and the receivers would, I guess, treat them just like any other of the assets, to be sold for as much as they could get.

With no FITs to distort the market, that would be about 33% of SFA.

Fingers crossed we'll get to find out.

What I dont get is the Govt could easily remove the FIT and then hundreds of these "rent your roof off you" companies would instantly go bust.
Possibly. However, isn't it fairly likely that, when the goverment decide to get rid of the FIT, they'll remove it only for new installations, but leave it (or, at least, 'phase it out' over a number of years) for existing installations?

Kind Regards, John

The payment is for a 25 year term, in the form of a contract. Whilst the Government could stop the FiT anytime they wish, they cannot alter the terms they have contractually agreed with existing owners of PV systems.

They will continue to benefit from their FiT until the end of the contractual period, copping an increase every year by virtue of the RPI link in.

I've put 40sqm on my roof, not because I am particularly interested in the FiT, but because I am fitting these things for my customers and if I am to be selling it, I should have it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back