cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we currently have a cooker circuit protected by a 30A breaker in the CU. We are looking to fit a new single oven + integrated microwave/combi oven. I have looked on the manufacturers website and the ratings appear to be 20A fro the oven and 16A fro the microwave/combi. By my reckoning that makes a total of 36A. Will we need to have a separate circuit installed for the combi or can they both be connected to the existing circuit (have read on one of the earlier posts re a % rule?)

Sponsored Links
yes, i would install a seperate circuit for that setup. Use 6mm cable from a 32A MCB, run through a 45A cooker control unit.

SO,

basically connect the cooker to one circuit & the microwave/combi to the other?

ixdes said

have read on one of the earlier posts re a % rule?

I take it people are meaning 'diversity' when they say this?

If so, I think it's foolish to apply it to cookers/cooker rings, saying it's not likely that they're all going to be on at the same time. In fact, in large families they probably would all be on at once. Diversity used to be considered when assessing Maximum Demand, not the size of mcb or cable to select for a particular circuit.

Julian

Sponsored Links
greencoat said:
I take it people are meaning 'diversity' when they say this?

If so, I think it's foolish to apply it to cookers/cooker rings, saying it's not likely that they're all going to be on at the same time. In fact, in large families they probably would all be on at once. Diversity used to be considered when assessing Maximum Demand, not the size of mcb or cable to select for a particular circuit.

Julian

if i put cooker circuits i dont usually follow diversity since there is a good chance itll be on more than diversity has allowed

really. I dont think so - we've had this before, and in the time it takes to heat a cable to a dangerous temperature, the cooker thermostats are in operation, and pinging on and off. If the breaker and cable are correctly rated for each other, and the cooker is not more than 150% of this then the worst you will have is a nuiscence trip, and in practice that is rare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back