HW Tank Pressure Relief Valve occasionally dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has just started tonight, water dripping from the overflow. Its the PRV at the top of the tank. I've felt the water via the tundish and its warm/hot, so I don't think it is the cold water PRV that shares the same tundish.

Watching the tundish this seems to 'spurt' slightly when the boiler and water/heating are on.

I changed the cold water PRV and reducing valve about 2-3 years ago, last one lasted 9 years. Cold water pressure vessel is reading just over 3 bar.

Hoping this is just the Hot water PRV, but shamefully has not been checked (by twisting the cap) for a few years. So is it normal for them to just go leaking ?

Sponsored Links
If your pressure is reading 3 bar that is fine.

PRV is at fault give it a good few twists to see if it will re-seat.

Otherwise replacement required.

Yes thanks, given both the hot and cold a good flush through. It didn't seem to work as it was weeping, but seems to have settled down so far so good. Otherwise off for a new valve tomorrow.

Just can't understand why it would discharge enough water to make the ground wet under the overflow for no apparent reason, then the valve was weeping ?

Sponsored Links
Thos is an unvented cylinder and they shopuld only be worked on by a qualified person.

The pressure you have mentioned is I think the AIR pressure in the expansion vessel. That is not necessarily the same as the water pressure.

But it may not be correctly charged.

My advice is to get someone qualified!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back