PIR for Upstairs Hallway - Ceiling or Corner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to workout if a ceiling mounted or corner mounted PIR is best.

Ive done a v crude mockup of upstairs hallway with some stairs graphics borrowed from Mr Google.

Any opinions on position?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The corner mount could cause an issue going out if that is the front door at the bottom of the stairs ( Look down, could pick up, and its better practise not to have the upstairs on entry route). So the ceiling would be better there.
Or put the corner unit in the opposite corner, that way you could go "back to back" with another detector in the other rooms.

Great advice, hadn't thought about entry route.
Thanks *again* !

When placing pirs to cover landings as mentioned be aware that they may catch people legitimately coming in the front door as mentioned but also
When placing instead adjacent to the bedroom doors to catch people coming up the stairs or going down them you have to angle the sensor slightly down . Otherwise it can be possible for someone to fail to activate the pir as they only have their head and shoulders showing at floor level when they are on the stairs.

Sponsored Links
But if they were coming up the stairs, without coming in the Entry/Exit then the hall detector or room would have caught them. If coming out of a bedroom/Bathroom then the landing would get them anyway. The whole point is to avoid the entry route as I said. If the system is well thought out at design stage then "traps" will be everywhere.

Not sure what point your trying to make here.

If you mean where there is a window halfway up the stairs as is common on a semi detached, the getting to the landing and or going down would be immediately caught by the afore mentioned.

If the detectors were fitted as per manufacturers recommendations there is no reason to have them tilted. Height and with certain detectors the position of the PCB compensate for this.

Depends on exactly what you are intending to detect.

If it is is people moving up or down the stairs then the location will be different to the location for detecting people moving along the landing.

Detecting people on the stairs could be best achieved with the the sensor mounted on the inside corner of the stairs about 4 feet above the stair. ( mid way between the red dots in your sketch ) .

If placed on the outside corner then people on the stairs will be walking towards or away from it most of the time they are on the stairs and that will not trigger the sensor until they are actually passing across the face of it as they go round the corner.

Ive done a v crude mockup of upstairs hallway with some stairs graphics borrowed from Mr Google.

Any opinions on position?

Thanks in advance!

Just an update - 360 ceiling mounted is installed and works a treat, it catches just as you walk up stairs and then anywhere in the Landing. Its a Pyronix Octopus ( http://www.pyronix.com/octopus-ep-ceiling-pir.php ) and works a charm - is also a very small unit.

Thanks again for feedback.

LOL, you never mentioned a 360!

Have used them in the past, not bad little things. Thanks for getting back.

LOL, you never mentioned a 360!

Have used them in the past, not bad little things. Thanks for getting back.

Oops! sorry - by ceiling mounted in the red location I thought it was obvious..

No worries :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back