2 way and intermediate switching with PIR for landing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

I've done a Forum search but can find no way of doing this, so...

My clients have an existing ceiling mounted PIR controlling a landing light. Due to the layout of the landing it does not turn the landing light ON when they are at the bottom of the stairs.

They would like a 2 way switch downstairs to do this. They would also like another 2 way switch on the far end of the landing where the PIR doesn't detect either.

As they go upstairs the PIR will detect them and turn the light ON but they have already manually turned the light ON. They will expect the PIR to turn the light OFF after the timer has run. There is no 2 way switch near to the top of the stairs to turn the light OFF

Is there a way I can I wire the 2 way switches and the PIR so that when the PIR switches the landing light OFF the light goes OFF (after the timer) even though one of the 2 way switches may have been left ON ie. the PIR acts as a 2 way switch?

Am I missing something very obvious? It is late!

Sponsored Links
Use timelapse switches (electronic or pneumatic) in parallel with (or instead of) the PIR, or use additional PIRs in parallel with the first, in suitable locations.

The lights will go out when all timers (switch or PIR) have elapsed.

With 2-way switching subsequent operations of the switch change the status of the light, which is not what is wanted.

Thank you both.

My clients are in deep love with PIRs and their children will not turn off lights at night!

They want switches to match existing so pneumatic/time delay is not an option - unfortunately.

I've had to stick to standard 2-way switching and 1-way PIR for common landing light. With the PIR set for a short delay and near darkness, I'm hoping that it is a workable solution.

Now, if I could just sell them a whole house smart system...

marcosparco

Sponsored Links
~PIR switches?

Sorry, you said need to match. I assume you mean the rest of the house not just the stairs.

This an old thread but I understand your dilemma.
With the baby we are up at all hours and get fed up switching the lights on and off...

So wired a PIR onto the landing ceiling. Its output goes through a dimmer (set at 25%) to make an automatic night-light. This can be over-ridden by the existing light switch.

Your job is probably done now but here goes anyhow.

You need to connect the landing light to a runback timer.

Then fit momentary push switches at top and bottom of stairs.
Both of these wire into the runback timer trigger.

Wire the PIR output to the runback timer trigger as well.

The momentary push switches or PIR will trigger the runback timer.....10 minutes later the lights go off.....

Just set the PIR on timer to minimum.....

The momentary push switches or PIR will trigger the runback timer.....10 minutes later the lights go off.....

Hopefully not when someone is in mid-step on the stairs.

I don't like timer switches on stair lights for this reason. They always seem to click off at inopportune moments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back