PIR - additional or replace switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of putting a PIR in the attic bedroom to turn on the attic light automatically - currently there is a two-way light circuit with switches at the top and bottom of the stairs but I dont like having to find the top switch in the dark near some stairs! I am hopeful that sleeping movements from the bed on the other side of the room wont trigger the PIR. (current config is LN feed into top switch, 3 core down to bottom switch, 2 core from top switch up to ceiling rose)

I am wondering on different configurations:

1. Replace the top light switch and convert to a single switch at the bottom + PIR in parallel at the top
+keeps the switching easy to identify - "off" at the bottom switch means PIR is in control.
+can override PIR ON time using downstairs switch
- feels like there should still be a switch upstairs but I guess no real need? What if PIR fails?
- No way to force the light off as PIR can always trigger
- Cannot force the light on from upstairs

2. Keep the two-way and add the PIR in parallel
+ can override the PIR time limit from upstairs
+ can override the PIR time limit from downstairs
- No way of knowing if switch or PIR has the light turned on as two-way switches cannot indicate if they are "on"
- No way to force the light off.

3. Make bottom switch power up the whole circuit and top switch move between PIR or forced on
+ can force light off using downstairs switch
- cannot force light off from upstairs
- unusual switch layout, might need switches labelling
- lights wouldnt come on when turning bottom switch on (or do all PIRs trigger when first powered up?)

Is there a better option without adding additional switches? Option 2 biggest drawback is not knowing if the switches currently have the light on or the PIR so am swayed away from this. Its a kids bedroom if that makes any difference to the suitable options.

Sponsored Links
ha ha - thanks :) Funny how the simplest ideas often get overlooked! I'll have a think about that option - not sure about the routing. The LN feed to the top switch originates from somewhere close to the bed but the current junction point of the lamp/switches are far away (opposite wall). I'll try and scribble a drawing.

I think the least effort solution, without running new cables to both the ceiling rose and bottom light switch, it just to run a 3 core cable around the outside of the attic room (in the eaves storage space) and relocate the top switch to a suitable location. I need to investigate if it is possible to run a new cable to the rose and bottom switch without ripping the attic apart!

Yeah keep it simple.

All you need to do is run a 3 core and earth cable to the existing switch.

If you wanted you could even fit an intermediate 3rd sw there or a blanking plate.

Sponsored Links
thanks Andy, switching the top to an intermediate could be the best plan to keep all bases covered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back