Single oven, seperate hob wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been trawling through the posts, but am still not 100% sure what I should use.
I have purchased a built in 2.8 kw single gas oven and the hob is yet to arrive, but this is gas with electrical ignition only.
There will be space of 1.5 metres between the oven and hob, and there is no existing wiring or CU so I am starting from scratch.
What wiring and termination should I use for this?
(The hood I will wire into the the existing ring main).

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
For ignition only, you only need a low wattage <100watts for certain, so you can plug it in. So if oven and hob are gas, nothing to do at all really.

Hi Mike,

Sorry, Ive just realised my typo. The oven is electric, but the hob is gas.
Does that mean a 2.5 mm radial circuit is all that is required for the oven?
If I terminate this at the cooker terminal, can two FCU's be used for the oven and hob?
If so, what power rating would the fuse in the CU have to be and the cooker terminal and FCU's?

If there is a better way please correct me.

Sorry for so many questions.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
You could do as you describe, but this is a lot of work, and makes things more complicated than what is nessecary. Use a 16 or 20A fuse in the CU if you go down this road.

You can just put 2 FCUs on the ring main in the kitchen for the hob and oven, Use a 3A for the hob and a 13A for the oven, simpler.

Using a 2.5mm radial might tempt someone to put a higher wattage oven and electric hob on at a later date, and uprate the MCB, without realising the cable is only 2.5mm and cant carry that current, thus burning the house down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back