adding a new double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello - want to add a new double socket in my hallway - which has none at all- one thing i`m not sure about is can i run this off an existing single socket? its my nearest socket approx 20 feet awaywhat do i need to look for in any type of socket so i know its suitable> oh and whats that METER thingy all about? thanks

Sponsored Links
could you be more specific about "the meter thingy"

if you are meaning a dmm, then this can be use to find a multitude of problems, identify cables etc

the single socket is it on a ring ?

the meter thingy was something i saw on a different thread on here...............the socket i`m refereing to is at the top of my stairs ,i have`nt looked inside it yet - what do i need to look for?

Sponsored Links
well that is stunningly helpful..........so glad i found this site......such unhelpful people

you have to bear in mind that most on here like a joke.

The problem is people come on here asking this and that (not just electrical) and expect a one line answer without giving much information to the job to be done in the first place.

Then to show lack of knowledge makes the trades people nervous as to if the poster is capable of doing the job.

but back to your question try here it answers all your questions

lelyuk said:
can i run this off an existing single socket?
Yes, if it is suitable
lelyuk said:
my nearest socket approx 20 feet awaywhat do i need to look for in any type of socket so i know its suitable?
You need to find out if it is on a ring or a radial. If it is on a ring it will be fed from a 30A / 32A fuse and have two sets of wires entering the socket which when continuity checked with a meter will be continuous. If this is the case you may spur from the ring down to the new socket. If it only has one set of 2.5mm² cables entering the back and fed from a 30A / 32A fuse it is likely a spur from a ring which, although is perfectly acceptable, means you cannot extend from this point without fitting extra protection i.e. a 13A Fused Connection Unit installed before the single socket. A ring main may serve a floor surface area up to 100m². A radial circuit may be extended using the same size cable as the original so long as it doesn't serve a floor surface area exceeding [50m² for a 2.5mm² cable 20A fused], [75m² for a 4mm² cable 30A / 32A fused].
lelyuk said:
whats that METER thingy all about?
See Fluke

Me too, had a fluke 73 shutdown when measuring a high frequency AC circuit on a flouro. Apart from this they appear to be an industry standard. I never trust the multimeter to test a circuit dead now, I now use approved isolation testers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back