Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 1 fused spur running from a double socket. It is used with a 3 AMP fuse for a hob extractor. I want to run two low voltage cabinet lights....can I do this by running another cable and fused spur from the existing fused spur.??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You could, it would be OK from a safety perspective, but as you would then have a pair of 3 amp fuses in series, there would be no extra protection from the second fused spur.. Probably better to have just a switch after the first FCU, so you can turn the lights off, and have one fused spur for both fan and lights.

Thanks for your quick response... I will fit a switch as you suggest. Should I connect the cable to the LOAD on the fused switch which would therefore offer protection to both the extractor and the lights ?? :idea:

Sponsored Links
Ah yes absolutely! - that was my point.
Of course if you were to feed the lights from the supply side then as it doesnt go through the fuse it is not properly protected, unless you wire the lights in something really thick cable, they may not take the possible fault current required to blow the supply fuse/mcb.
Please have the lights, and fan, on the load side, and the incoming mains on the other, so the fuse protects both sets of thin wires...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back