i have bought a double dimmer switch but having trouble wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone can help me i have bought a double dimmer switch but having trouble wireing it up the wires on the wall are 2 REDS 2 BLACKS 1 YELLOW behind the dimmer is C,L1,L2 anyone please help thanx

Sponsored Links
You should start a new thread.

But the answer to your question is simple. Put the cable colours in the same terminal markings that you had for the original light switch. This will save you hours of trying to figure out which one goes where and remove the need to purchase a multi-meter.

hi thanx for ur reply the terminal markens are not the same as on the dimmer its terminal C L1 or L2

Sponsored Links
If it is earth then it will go the earth terminal on the back box, or if the switch faceplate is metal it will go to it's earth terminal.

Not sure on what terminals you have on the new switch, and often the manufacturer's instructions tell you which terminals to use.

One cable with one red and one black wil serve one individual dimmer.

The red is the live, and the black is the switched live that goes to the lamp. (Often a short red sleeve is placed over the black to indicate it is a switched live and not a neutral.)

The red would probably go to the common, and the black to L1.

Same with the other cable to the other dimmer.

From my previous post I have made a mistake with colours the colours are yellow redx2 and black and brown

Before you take the old switch off, take a picture and post it on here
(use macro so we can see the detail)/

We can soon tell you how to do it.

Or is the old switch off already :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back