Colour Wash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to colour wash Pine (I think its Colour Wash, where I can still see the grain under a very watery coat of paint)

Can anyone help

V

Sponsored Links
Find the colour emulsion you want..in vinyl matt

Add to it some Polyvine water based scumble glaze

Then thin it down with some water......and apply.

But....remember to do a sample piece first, any of these effects are trial and error...the amount you need to thin them will depend on the colour, the brand of paint and the surface of the wood.

Apply it with a brush, but gently rub over it with a soft pad of lint free rag after 30 seconds or so to remove the brush marks...but be careful you dont wipe all the paint off again.

You need polyvine though to give it some flow, if you use thinned out paint on its own it will soak straight into the wood.

I have recently done this on pine paneling (the type the comes in small sections from B&Q) using a creamy coloured glaze......for added effect try sanding down the edges lightly after you have done it to give it a slightly worn look.

Once done id suggest you coat the whole area in a water based glaze to protect it.

Good luck...and dont forget to be prepared to experiment.

I have just colour washed tongue n groove panelling that i put up in my bathroom using "Ronseal "Quick & easy" wood wash".

I tin of 750ml cost me about £10 from B&Q and does about 12 square m, so it says, but I used hardly any to get a very light shade.

Loads of colours available, I used Bluberry and very simply paint it on and you see the grain of the wood beautifully through the colour. Finally clear varnish over the top when dry to seal it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back