Cooker Hood Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a cooker hood which does not currentlly vent to an outside wall due to a neighbour objecting that the ducting from the cooker hood would vent onto her ground as the cooker is on an adjoining wall.

I don't want to run ducting all around the kitchen to the other wall, but can go through the ceiling, as we have a loft above the extension.

I am told by a kitchen installer that there might be a chance of condensation forming on the ducting in the loft.

Is there anyway to prevent this, if this is the case.

The total run of ducting in the loft will be about 6m.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
gromit said:
Hi,

I have a cooker hood which does not currentlly vent to an outside wall due to a neighbour objecting that the ducting from the cooker hood would vent onto her ground as the cooker is on an adjoining wall.

Why would the vent end up on her property, or is she just objecting to the fact that she may smell some of your cooking when the vent is in use.

nstreet said:
gromit said:
Hi,

Why would the vent end up on her property, or is she just objecting to the fact that she may smell some of your cooking when the vent is in use.

It would overlook her garden, as our extension is longer than her property and yes she probably would object to the smell ;)

I took the duct from my cooker hood into the kitchen loft, and it works fine. I guess the condensation may form inside the duct, as the damp air from the cooker passes through the duct in the cold loft space, which I suppose may eventually run back into the extractor. In my loft, the duct is covered with some loft insulation. The only problem I did have was a mouse (who liked the smell of my cooking more than your neighbour does your's), noshed it's way into the duct to find out where the chips were. The solution to that problem simply involved Rentokil.

Sponsored Links
gromit said:
It would overlook her garden, as our extension is longer than her property and yes she probably would object to the smell ;)

Vent it through the roof then, but she will probably still smell the cooking, not much you can do about that one. Fit a condensation trap if you have the headroom. Also check that your extract unit will be of sufficient power for a 6m run. Most recommend 3-4m max.

Hi,

Thanks for your help :D . I will add this to my list of jobs to do when the weather turns a bit cooler, as I have just been up in the loft to fetch something and it is like a furnace, sounds like the new fence takes priority ;)

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back