unusaul coloured cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just gone a bought a double dimmer switch to replace a normal double switch. but when I removed the old switch it has red & blue & white cables. I know red is live, blue neutral, but what is white?
Second question the old switch had the red cable going into (A - 1 way & B - Com) the white into (B - 1 way) and blue into (A - Com) . the new dimmer has a Com, L1 & L2 on each dimmer side. (its a double dimmer) how do I do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Okay..

Red is live. The other two are switched lives.

Connect the red wire to the common terminal on one side and then run a piece of wire from that terminal to the common terminal on the other side.

Sleeve the remaining wires red, and connect one of them to the L1 terminal on one side and connect the other to the L1 terminal on the other side.

delp said:
I've just gone a bought a double dimmer switch to replace a normal double switch. but when I removed the old switch it has red & blue & white cables. I know red is live, blue neutral, but what is white?
Second question the old switch had the red cable going into (A - 1 way & B - Com) the white into (B - 1 way) and blue into (A - Com) . the new dimmer has a Com, L1 & L2 on each dimmer side. (its a double dimmer) how do I do this?
Thanks

i think you need to understand that there isnt a nautral at the light switch before you do anything else. wire new like for like

delp said:
I've just gone a bought a double dimmer switch to replace a normal double switch. but when I removed the old switch it has red & blue & white cables.

This is the old three core cable colours

I know red is live, blue neutral, but what is white?.

There will not be (or should not be) a neutral at the switch. One of the cores will be permanent live and the other two will be the switch wires for the two lights

Thanks

Put the red in the COM on one side (A) and put a small piece of cable from this COM to the COM on the other side (B). Put the blue in L1 on the one side (A) and the white in the L1 on the other side(B). Put red sleeving over all three cores to identify them as phases. Is there no earth cable involved?

Sponsored Links
fantasic, thats help clear this up. The white kind of confused me as its not in any of my DIY books. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back