Ceramic Floor tiles-cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be laying ceramic floor tiles in my down stairs toilet. What is the best way to cut tiles to fit toilet base profile?

Sponsored Links
hi himn2
i have recently fitted floor tiles to a bathroom, i thought about the best way of allowing for fittings (toilet, bath & basin). after reading various ideas on different forums, the general concensus what to lift toilet & basin and lay tiles, then fit toilet & basin on top, although i imagine this would be easier & arguably neater, i was not keen on the idea of the toilet pan sitting directly on the tiles (even with a sealant or similar between).
what i decided on, was to dry lay the tiles, position toilet pan in place & mark out the areas for the pan & the waste, lift it all back up, cut tiles to accommodate toilet pan & waste, then stuck tiles down, then finally grouted.
once tiles where complete & toilet pan was refitted & secured, i used a colour cordinated waterproof sealant (b&q do a fair selection) to seal around the toilet pan, the look of the finished result is better than i thought it may have been & also i'm happy that i have been able to screw the toilet pan to the wooden floor.
a bit more work involved, but worth it.
incidently, as the type of basin i was working with is designed not to be screwed to floor, but sit on the floor and is not subject to the same stresses as the toilet (unless you intend to sit on it) i decided to lay whole tile & sit basin on a bed of sealant to prevent sideways movement.
the bath side panel was removed & tiled under, then bath side panel was trimmed to fit.
hope this helps.
happiness is the ultimate goal.

I would always tile the entire floor first, then place sanity ware on top. It is the only way to ensure a proffessional finish. It also gives you the option to change your sanitary ware at a later date with out the need to alter existing tiling around the old 'footprint,. When fitting the wc for example apply plmbers mate to the base as you settle it into place to cushion the porcelain against the tile surface

I am having a problems cutting curves on floor tiles.
I have tiled the floor in my bathroom, except around the toilet.
The option to remove the toilet put the tile under it, and then return the toilet is not an option. As the tank and its flush are hidden behind a tiled wall.

I have marked out the cut required on the tile and have tried to cut it using a hand saw and jigsaw (with tile blade) but it just does not cut the tile. I then used a tile nipper but this is not easy with such a thick tile (10 mm).

Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Pin

Sponsored Links
Yea - i'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing and am having exactly the same problem - cutting round the toilet pan - have gone through numerous jigsaw blades and saw tiles and nothing seems to be able to get through the tiles - any advice!??

Get a tile saw from a tool hire company. To do the curves you use the saw as a file. So Easy.

You'd think it would be that easy wouldn't you! We borrowed a saw tile from a pro tiler - still wouldnt get through these suckers!!!! Ended up getting a plumber in lift the toilet pan and tiled under -lucky we could! Unfortunately it seems that some tiles just don't want to be cut!:)

I reckon the saw you borrowed had a blunt blade or the wrong type. A tile shop will cut tiles for you (Well ToppsTiles used to @ £1 per cut)

What I have done is use an electronic tile cutter to remove as big an area as possible within the curve. The little bits can then be removed using a tile saw.

anna french said:
Yea - i'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing and am having exactly the same problem - cutting round the toilet pan - have gone through numerous jigsaw blades and saw tiles and nothing seems to be able to get through the tiles - any advice!??

Anna

You are right, I have been tiling a loo floor this weekend. I didnt realise that the tiles were actually Porcelain tiles & the guy at Tops Tiles didnt mention that conventional tiles cutters and saws won't touch them, I broke two saws on them!!

Tomorrow I am having to hire a diamond wheel cutter that will do the job. Dont buy a conventional wheel cutter from B&Q etc. because that will not do it either, you need the £59.95 job from Wickes & other places that states 'Porcelain Tiles' on the box.

Good luck.
Steve.

Steveiejw
Tomorrow I am having to hire a diamond wheel cutter that will do the job
Glad you have sorted the problem, It was as I said, wrong blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back