Is it the flashings or moss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Looking for some advice before I get a couple of quotes.

I have about 1 1/2 ft of coombed ceiling in the bedrooms due to the roof at the ends of the rafters? Being lower than the height of the ceiling. Hope that makes sense.

There is water damage at the top of the wall in the bedroom and a small water Mark on the coombed plasterboard section.

I have checked the loft and can see that there is wetness on the horizontal sections of wood that are at the end of the rafters behind the upvc facia boards. The wetness is around the chimney stack.

I previously had a roofer check the flashings and he said that they were ok. My hubby had a look yesterday and he said they look ok but he is no expert. There is however alot of moss on the tiles which I am thinking may be getting under the tiles.

Do you think it would be prudent to firstly remove the moss and check improvement before getting expert in?

Barring a loose tile letting in water, is the only other way for water to get in around a chimney likely to be the flashings?

The house was built in 1965.

Thanks for any thoughts
Fluff

Sponsored Links
When water lands on your roof the faster it gets to your gutter the better, so if you have a lot of moss on your roof it will slow it down and then it has time to get behind your tiles and onto the felt, which should take it to the gutter but yours has probably rotted at the bottom by now.

Thanks for that info.

Have now had a proper look. Loose tiles, moss lifting tiles - not a pretty site. Will get the experts in to fix it and check the felt when they are at it as this would imagine is a vunerable area around the chimney.

Thanks for the advice.

Fluff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back