bathroom fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having difficulty fitting a bathroom extractor fan. There is wiring already in place for it, which consists of a red, blue, yellow and what appears to be a bare copper wire. The new fan requires a permanent live (L), neutral (N)and switch live (L1). Can anyone advise what goes where please? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can't be too sure about these things, becuase there is no set in stone way of doing this, but that said, I've never seen, or heard anyone choose to differ from the following:

Blue - neutral
Red - Live
Yellow = Switched live

EDIT: Bare copper wire is the earth, and should be sleeved with earth sleeving and terminated in a terminal block in the absense of any desinated termianal for it

EDIT2: Now got an EDIT label :oops:

And don't forget that thing that 'appears to be a bare copper wire' - That is the Earth and needs to be attached too......

(Adam's edited his with a more detailed description of what to do with it now)

Sorry, normally put a notice in that I've editted something, forgot this time, struck me after posting I shouldn't assumed the what to do with the earth was known (no offence to the OP btw)

Sponsored Links
bananafeet said:
Hi, I am having difficulty fitting a bathroom extractor fan. There is wiring already in place for it, which consists of a red, blue, yellow and what appears to be a bare copper wire. The new fan requires a permanent live (L), neutral (N)and switch live (L1). Can anyone advise what goes where please? Cheers.
Why not use your multimeter to identify which conductor is which?

If you don't have one, then either get one or stop messing with your electrics.

Hey guys, thanks for you help, it was much appreciated. I hope I can repay the favour if you ever have any computer/IT problems
Cheers

you may want to look in for refernce there is a drawing that shows how its done

bananafeet said:
Hey guys, thanks for you help, it was much appreciated. I hope I can repay the favour if you ever have any computer/IT problems
Cheers

what problems could you solve?

this post has now been split, the questions are now here

breezer said:
you may want to look in for refernce there is a drawing that shows how its done

where is the reference stuff its sounds great but cant find it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back