Light Switch Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing a one gang one way plastic light cover but have bought a two way chrome replacement can this still be used? Also the two wire is a red live in and red live out where will they need to go? And finally i cannot find an earth do you think this could be wired into the case? Please Help

Sponsored Links
You can use the 2 way as a one way.
Put one red into Com and one into L1
The lack of an earth is worrying or are you saying that the fixture has no connection for eath?

laurar0407 said:
I am changing a one gang one way plastic light cover but have bought a two way chrome replacement can this still be used? Also the two wire is a red live in and red live out where will they need to go? And finally i cannot find an earth do you think this could be wired into the case? Please Help

if there is no earth, then chances are you cannot use your new switch, unless you re-wire the house

Thanks for your help. There was no earth with the other two wires but i've been advised that it may be attatched to the actual box in the wall and i may of missed it. but to fit to a chrome socket the earth needs to be attached to the socket? it does have a fixture for this.

Sponsored Links
laurar0407 said:
Thanks for your help. There was no earth with the other two wires but i've been advised that it may be attatched to the actual box in the wall and i may of missed it. but to fit to a chrome socket the earth needs to be attached to the socket? it does have a fixture for this.

The earth is usually attached to the back box in the wall at a switch, but did you check for it? The earths should be disconnected from the back box and connected to the switch plate, with a link to the back box (mounting screws not acceptable AFAIK).

crafty1289 said:
(mounting screws not acceptable AFAIK).

They are acceptable as long as at least one of the mounting points is fixed :) (I have yet to see a box where that isn't the case), its often seen as good practice to put a link in anyway, but not sure I'd bother in this particular case. I'd just connect the earth to the metal faceplate and be done with it.

OOI, I'ive heard about a metal switch plate without an earth terminal, the installer queried it with the manufacterer, who told them that it would be earthed through the screws from the backbox, which is alright as long as the backbox is metal (it wasn't, it was a cavity wall box), he ended up taking them back, apparently they had corrected the problem on future batches. - Credits to some sparky on the iee forums

Adam_151 said:
crafty1289 said:
(mounting screws not acceptable AFAIK).

They are acceptable as long as at least one of the mounting points is fixed :) (I have yet to see a box where that isn't the case), its often seen as good practice to put a link in anyway, but not sure I'd bother in this particular case. I'd just connect the earth to the metal faceplate and be done with it.

OOI, I'ive heard about a metal switch plate without an earth terminal, the installer queried it with the manufacterer, who told them that it would be earthed through the screws from the backbox, which is alright as long as the backbox is metal (it wasn't, it was a cavity wall box), he ended up taking them back, apparently they had corrected the problem on future batches. - Credits to some sparky on the iee forums

What if fixing screws not tight or someone changes them for nylo screws - it has been known, earth link always

ebee said:
What if fixing screws not tight or someone changes them for nylo screws -

Nylon is not conductive. So how would this be a problem?.

See GN1, a flying earth is not always required depending on various factors.

edited to correct quote

pdcelec said:
[quote="ebee

Nylon is not conductive. So how would this be a problem
?.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM = NYLON IS NOT CONDUCTIVE

See GN1, a flying earth is not always required depending on various factors.[/quote]

pdcelec said:
ebee said:
pdcelec said:
[quote="ebee

Nylon is not conductive. So how would this be a problem
?.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM = NYLON IS NOT CONDUCTIVE

Cannot understand what you are trying to say?

AAAGGGHHH ,

Earth link not required if on lug of fixing screw is fixed on the basis that fixing screw to lug will provide earth continuity.
I disagree - if screw is slack bad connection, if screw is nylon no connection

I think you are trying to say if the back box is earthed then nylon screws will insulate a metal light switch which is therefore not earthed, the way I read it anyway.
I generally don't like relying on the normal back box earth point and would earth to a metal light switch first and loop to bbox.

Spark123 said:
I think you are trying to say if the back box is earthed then nylon screws will insulate a metal light switch, the way I read it.
I generally don't like relying on the normal back box earth point and would earth to a metal light switch first and loop to bbox.

Correct of vice versa if you use a metal switchplate and connect cpc to it`s terminal, do not link back to metalbox then the backbox could be poorly earthed or unearthed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back