Socket tester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My phone's been playing up recently, and stopped working today. It worked off the test socket at the back so I suppose it needs a new socket.
BT says it's my job to fix it, or pay them a fortune.
Question is, how long can you use the testing socket for?
Call centre says only a couple of days.

Sponsored Links
was there any cables connected to the front of the socket when you removed it ? if so it could be your internal wiring at fault if it works ok direct from the back plate.

There was 4 wires to an extension socket, but I disconnected them and it still didn't work off the front one.

Sponsored Links
This is a nice simple one for you to DIY.
I am assuming the box is an NTE5 (google it for a photo if in doubt) such that you have removed the front bottom half that connected into the test socket which you have currently plugged your phone cord into?
If so, you can purchase a new NT5 and simply leave the existing back part whilst connecting your new front part.
If you have any extension sockets wire these up to 2 & 5 only on the new front bit. Hopefully you noted the original 2/5 colours!--but no big problem.
(Whilst doing this, consider getting an "adapted NTE5" so that you can have ADSL filtered arrangements for broadband)

There is no rush to undertake the job and who will know whether you are plugged directly into the test socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back