Pilot light gas consumption?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how much gas my boiler pilot light consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm yesterday and again at exactly 9pm today. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the meter readings and in 24hrs had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is 65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption right for a pilot light? The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Sponsored Links
Gas is sold by volume, not kWH units. Make sure you're reading your meter accurately - yours sounds like it's metric so cubic metres, then the fig should be on the bill. Used to be about a fiver a year.

panther said:
I was wondering how much gas my boiler pilot light consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm yesterday and again at exactly 9pm today. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the meter readings and in 24hrs had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is 65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption right for a pilot light? The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

I WAS TOLD if you left a pilot on for a full year it would cost about £42

i only have gas central heating

my pilot [which is turned up a bit to much]uses about a unit a week[3 weeks 3 units] empty house so about 50p at present values time 52 about £26 a year

Sponsored Links
Gas consumed by pilot lights is not entirely wasted. It contributes something to heating output, prevents the boiler heat exchanger from freezing and, in the case of a combi boiler, will improve response to hot water demand by preheating the heat exchanger.

My energy suppliers charge me for gas by the kWH.

It was always stated in the Launderette industry that a pilot light in a gas dryer consumed about £37 p.a. but that figure goes back a few years.

I would therefore support Bobs figure of £42 as about right, although as Chris says its not all wasted so perhaps the real cost is about £30 p.a.

For several years the boiler industry has not been producing boilers with standing pilots because of the gas wastage. That is just part of the saving from switching to a condensing boiler.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back