pc advice offered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pdcelec said:
bananafeet said:
Hey guys, thanks for you help, it was much appreciated. I hope I can repay the favour if you ever have any computer/IT problems
Cheers

what problems could you solve?

That was a very big open question; feel free to put me to the test.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have a problem networking a XP pc to a Win 98 pc. I have setup the IP addresses and the Workgroup names, but am struggling to get them to talk to each other. BTW it was working at one stage but then stopped. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Cat 5 cables via a 4 way switch.

pdcelec said:
I have a problem networking a XP pc to a Win 98 pc. I have setup the IP addresses and the Workgroup names, but am struggling to get them to talk to each other. BTW it was working at one stage but then stopped. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Cat 5 cables via a 4 way switch.

I had a similar problem before, have you tried transferring the network wizard on a floppy from the XP computer to the 98 one?

On another note, i need a copy of Windows XP!! Where is cheapest (and legal)?????

bananafeet said:
Cheers

OK then...

i have a HP PDA rx 3715 with WIFI/bluetooth. i have a router and wireless access point. i have managed to set it up as far as the PDA can access the net thru the wireless. however, i cant get it so i can browse files wireless. can only do that when PDA is connected to comp USB. comp has win XP

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
On another note, i need a copy of Windows XP!! Where is cheapest (and legal)?????

Cheapest & legal? Arn't they mutually exclusive? :LOL: ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pdcelec said:

Have you enabled file sharing on both machines?

Can you ping one machine from the other?

Can either machine png itself?

Is the Windows firewall protecting your LAN adaptors?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

andrew2022 said:
bananafeet said:
Cheers

OK then...

i have a HP PDA rx 3715 with WIFI/bluetooth. i have a router and wireless access point. i have managed to set it up as far as the PDA can access the net thru the wireless. however, i cant get it so i can browse files wireless. can only do that when PDA is connected to comp USB. comp has win XP

any ideas?

see above

Igorian, please note 10a

pdcelec said:

You are not alone pcdelec! There are a few problems which arise when doing this. In order to refrain in starting a never ending string, and without recommending any particular website's solution/tutorial, try entering the following in google's search engine: "networking problem" xp windows 98 Remember to include the quotation marks at the appropriate places. You should find your solution in the (many) results!
Hope this helps.
Cheers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

crafty1289 said:
pdcelec said:

I had a similar problem before, have you tried transferring the network wizard on a floppy from the XP computer to the 98 one?

The cheapest I'm currently aware of is £64 plus vat at softwarepricebeater.com but I would use a few search engines to see what else there is. Be aware though, there are some companies that offer editions that cannot be updated, or can be only for a short period of time.
Check their reputations!!!
Hope this helps
Cheers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

andrew2022 said:
bananafeet said:
Cheers

OK then...

any ideas?

Try turning WEP off. Let me know if you have any joy. If still nothing, let me know if you're getting any error messages.
Cheers

bananafeet, please note 10a

Back