removing pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a house that has the front wall covered in tacky looking pebble dash. Want to remove this myself and wondered if there was an easier way other than using the old hammer and chisel

Sponsored Links
Out of interest when you have removed it what are goining to replace it with?

Do you mean just to remove the peddlestone and leave the exsisting rendering with some stones in it? or straight back to the brickwork?

Sponsored Links
The pebbledash wall was once painted yellow (pieces of the stuff have come off over the years). The plan is to remove the layer of pebbledash, treat the wall, e.g sand it down, fill in gaps - if any etc and cover with a good paint. What would be the easiest way in which to remove the pebbles?

I find using a old shovel, file the bottom edge or a clean cut with a angle grinder then scrape it off downward get most of the stones off, (also wear a goggle & gloves) but won't get the little stones out that's bedded in further in the rendering, might not noticed when painted.

9inchnails said:
The pebbledash wall was once painted yellow (pieces of the stuff have come off over the years). The plan is to remove the layer of pebbledash, treat the wall, e.g sand it down, fill in gaps - if any etc and cover with a good paint. What would be the easiest way in which to remove the pebbles?

From that discription it's gonna look a right mess and you will be better off having it re-rendered

i have recently purchased a house too that is covered in shell dash and has been for 20 years. it looks dirty under window and untidy down the street. The condition is good but just looks odd. i had a quote to remove shell dash and render smooth and it was £5k NO WAY!!
I have tried painitng an area and it looks like textured render really smart.
so i have brushed the loose stuff off and treated with PVA glue mix with water. painted that on so it has a good bond and seals it first. just put my last coat on and had so many compliments already. note: it does eat into the paint i have a three bed semi det house and used 75l of paint putting on two coats but it has been worth it. overall cost £200.
only hacked off the bottom as it was bridging the damp course. managed to get back to brick using hammer and chissell hard graft but worth it.

hmmm, nice but the Op has probably done it by now, since they asked back in 2005

Read this with interst as I am thinking of painting over the shell dash on my house. How does yours look now? Has it weathered ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back