HIGH pressure on combi boiler - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a Vokira combi boiler, the pressure keeps rising to to maximum, there is a constant drip from the overflow pipe. I release the pressure to 1.5 bar every other day but this only lasts for a short while and it steadily rises again!

I have only owned the house since December so I'm not sure how long the problem has been there, although I think it could be related to when the radiators in the living room fell off the walls (yes, whever fitted the c/h system must have been a joker, used normal screws to hold big double rads on the plaster board!).

Anyway, I've searched the threads on this board a few times & cant find any answers really. Could it be related to the filling loop?

Anyway, any help is much appreciated :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Find your filling loop and disconnect it.
Could be letting by as mine just has, (actually left the key in the wrong way and filled up to 3 bar before I realised) :oops:

This is some kind of metallic flexable hose right? Towards the bottom right of the boiler (I'm remembering this from another post)?
What do I remove it with? and do I need to seal anything?

Cheers
Cris

Unscrew it at the top (nearest to the boiler). It has a non return valve so no need to seal. When it is disconnected, if water is still dribbling out then you know it has not been turned off properly or is knackered. :D

Sponsored Links
Ok,
so basically I'm looking to see if the filling loop is leeking?

Yes.

If it is not filling loop, you will need to consult a plumber as your pressure vessel may need attention :(

Filling loop is supposed to be left disconnected to complywith regs :cry:

Well filling loop is not dripping or anything. Looks like I need a plumber :cry:

if you aren't adding any water to the system, filling loop disconnected and it still fills, I'd be looking at the sec heat exchanger or anywhere where the mains comes in contact with the system water.

You can rule out the Expansion Vessel if the pressure rises whilst it is switched off.

Boiler still rising in pressure daily. Am I damaging it by not getting it serviced / fixed? Basically I cant afford to get someone out just now but if the boiler blows up or whatever I really wont be able to afford it!? How much should I be looking at paying to get the work done be it the PV or Expansion Vessle?

If it's the secondary heat exchanger (sounds likely) you could be poisoning your tap water, and introducing new oxygenated water (corrosive) into the boiler.
You haven't said what the boiler is. Bill probably 200 - 400, unless the corrosion causes other problems.

Part's around £100 + vat so lower end of figs given.

I have spoken to Vokera, would I be best having them come & repair it or a corgi registered bloke out of yellow pages? Vokera say I'm looking at £200 inc VAT if it is either secondary heat exchanger or PV if they come to do it (which sounded reasonable to me).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back