Cutting wood with two passes with Table Saw

R

richard7761

If the table saw will not cut right through the wood, then I presume you can do another pass to cut what was uncut in the first pass.

So, that means a saw which is advertized to cut up to 35mm thick, can cut a 70mmm thick piece.

What say? Rich.

Sponsored Links
yes and no
you will need to remove the safety equipment [riving knife and guard] making it dangerous

experienced people will do it unofficially as we cannot condone unsafe practices ;)

what sort off wood are you talking about[hard wood/soft wood seasoned planed ]

yes and no
you will need to remove the safety equipment [riving knife and guard] making it dangerous

experienced people will do it unofficially as we cannot condone unsafe practices ;)

what sort off wood are you talking about[hard wood/soft wood seasoned planed ]

It's the kind of wood I that I think you might find as joists or rafters. Sort of common all-garden original wood size 4" (100mm) x 2" (50mm).

I've been looking at an inexpensive Titan SF88N5 200mm Table Saw at Screwfix. That only cuts to 35mm.

I've been using an electric planer to reduce the wood size to around 90mm x 40mm, but cannot get things square. I need a table saw.

So, my wood is now 90mm x 40mm. I'll still not be able to cut 90mm, only about 70mm. But, I could saw the 20mm left uncut in the middle - I guess.

I'm actually trying to square-up this wood. So, when I say saw the 20mm in the middle, I really mean plane.

i would not advise you to run any timber thats wet ror warped through a saw with full guards in place never mind without the guards in place
what lengths are you talking about

Sponsored Links
only remove the safty gaurds of any machine for photographic purposes only. ;)

i would not advise you to run any timber thats wet ror warped through a saw with full guards in place never mind without the guards in place
what lengths are you talking about

5 foot max.

I've been using an electric planer to reduce the wood size to around 90mm x 40mm, but cannot get things square. I need a table saw.

If you are trying to clean up the wood by planing the faces and want to get the edges square then forget a saw and buy a planer/thicknesser.

J[/quote]

if you get a good saw that has the guard on an arm from the side of the table there is no need to remove it or remove the riving knife. the best saws are the old cast iron ones not cheap but will last for ever.

something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/saw-bench...ies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item4ab479264d

That's the type of saw I've got. It's an excellent bit of kit. You'd have to have some work for it though to justify the money (although it's cheap enough there) space and 15A socket etc.

That Titan saw is going to need fixing down for any heavy ripping. Ripping full depth like that isn't a recommended practice anyway, because of the dangers of work piece rejection, and at around 1 HP I doubt if that saw will have the power to do the job properly, particularly with no riving knife, which of course you wouldn't be doing anyway. . .

Apart from any possible safety issues, resawing stuff like that by turning it over rarely gives good results. You often get a step between the two cuts.

I'd find somebody with a suitably sized, and give them a drink to do it for me.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back