2 gang switch with live feed, one switch wrong way up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have successfully replaced the dimmer switch as mentioned in a previous post, and have got the lights to work, but one of the switches is the wrong way up, I include an image of how it is wired. I have swapped the two wires on the second switch and it does not change anything.

Hope you can help with my wiring problem,

Ben
2switch5no.jpg

Sponsored Links
on a typical light switch you have a common at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom, is this a grid switch with dimer one side and normal switch the other side.

Try changing cable connections so its wired between common and L1 if this is how its wired try Common and L2

1) that image url appears to be less of a url, and more of a path to a local image on your machine, it just dosen't work like that

2) from other thread:
Adam_151 said:
On the second switch move the red wire that is in L1, to L2 instead

Thanks Adam I will try that, I thought L2 was for 2 way switching?

Cheers,

Ben

Sponsored Links
boznia said:
I thought L2 was for 2 way switching?

You use both L1 and L2 for two way switching, but only one of them for 1 way switching, either one, but the way the switch operates will be reversed if you swap between the two

boznia said:
I thought L2 was for 2 way switching?

A two way switch always has a connection through it. When the switch is switched one way the connection will be between C and L1, and when switched the other it will be between C and L2.

so either the drawing is wrong, or the switch is upside down

It's a 2-gang switch. If only one gang is "upside down" then turning the whole switch will only result in the other gang becoming "upside down".

ban-all-sheds said:
It's a 2-gang switch. If only one gang is "upside down" then turning the whole switch will only result in the other gang becoming "upside down".

But if he mounted it sideways, neither switch would be upside down!:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back