Changing Circuit Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all my downstairs sockets are connected via the upstairs ring main, whats the best way to disconnect them and rewire them on their own ringmains ie living room and kitchen seperately without destroying the decor of the house? can i blank off wiring at each end so it isnt live just a bit of wire in the wall or does it have to be removed?

Sponsored Links
Most houses are done as yours is (so is mine), except the kitchen has its own ring because of what may be used at once .i.e toaster, washing m/c

you can not easily do it because you would then have to bring back 2 cables to you consumers unit for the new ring. and obviously you would need a spare way to connect it to.

also you would not have any "spare ends" because it is always a ring that is how it works,

It starts from consumers unit to 1 st socket, then from 1st to 2nd socket and so on, then from last socket a cable then goes back to the counsumers unit making it a ring

why do you ask?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back