biasi riva advance he hot water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i posted on this topic before but not sure how i add to it so i have started a new topic..
i have an 8 month old biasi riva advance boiler that has a hot water fault in that the water goes hot then cold and so on, i had a good few replies that were very helpful and all said its probably the he plate blocked as the boiler was not powerflushed when fitted,the pipe work is also the old microbore pipework as i have a victorian house..now i bought a new he plate and today had a plumber to fit it and why he was here he also fitted a fernox tf1 mag filter and all the chemicals that i also supplied..now the problem is still there??
plumber says leave it a week or so to see if the chemicals and filter do unblock/solve the issue??
if not he says its probably the heat exchanger and its not worth doing due to time and cost...
can anyone shed some more experiance on this for me please....also i know the boiler is still under guarentee so worse case ill get biasi to come out... thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I think you should have called Biasi in the 1st place. Even tho they may have told you, that they wont cover it as its a system installation fault, but worth a try.
How is the central heating? Does this cut off, or does the boiler make any knocking sound when on heating mode?
If your heating is working fine, and you have a new dhw plate, then I think its another issue.
I would still call Baisi first.

I dont see much point in calling Biasi.

Unless you think its a good idea paying £90 for them to confirm its the plate HE which is not covered by the makers because its not their dirt.

Unfortunately buying a part and paying a nupty to fit it is NOT a good idea!

Far better to call a boiler engineer to come and DIAGNOSE the problem on site! Then if he gets it wrong its his problem and not yours.

Its vaguely amusing that you employ a nupty installer who does not power flush the system and then buy a part yourself and get a nupty to fit it.

At some point you will pass the cost of having the boiler properly installed in the beginning.

Tony

I dont see much point in calling Biasi.
Unless you think its a good idea paying £90 for them to confirm its the plate HE which is not covered by the makers because its not their dirt.

Unfortunately buying a part and paying a nupty to fit it is NOT a good idea!

Far better to call a boiler engineer to come and DIAGNOSE the problem on site! Then if he gets it wrong its his problem and not yours.

Its vaguely amusing that you employ a nupty installer who does not power flush the system and then buy a part yourself and get a nupty to fit it.

At some point you will pass the cost of having the boiler properly installed in the beginning.

tony i can see why your not liked very much on most of the forums your on!!! constantly making smug replies that are no help at all to anyone..
i did share e-mails with you and sent you photos like you asked only for you to ignore them and not send any replies so that says a lot about you!!
i did not get a numpty to fit the new plate he i got qualified gas safe engineer to do so..
and you think that buying the plate myself was a bad idea??
is this so that people like you cannot get your 50-100% mark up on them when you get them for customers??
any way unless you have any positive input that could be of help then please keep your unhelpful comments to yourself....
Tony

Sponsored Links
If you had managed the situation propperly you would have called a competent engineer to DIAGNOSE the problem!

Then it would have been his problem if he got it wrong!

I clean plate HEs for my custoners as thats far cheaper for them.

I dont aim to make any markup on spares but I always charge to diagnose faults at a fixed price.

You know that I even gave you a quotation by email but that was obviously too much for you.

You seem to think that you can save your money by getting the boiler cheaply installed without power flushing and then ordering parts yourself even though you dont know whats required.

Tony

tony i gave a clear discription of the fault on here and told a couple of people that are plumbers, every reply including yours said the same thing, a blocked he plate that needs cleaning or replacing, i would of thought that was a good enough fault diagnosis,even the plumber that installed the plate for me said the same thing but suggested that a clean does not always clear the blockage.
so for the amount off £74 i bought a new plate and also bought a mag cleaner at the same time for £102 which included all chemicals, i was charged £150 to install the new plate and fit the filter..
your quote to clean the plate was fine with me but you never replied to my e-mail after i sent you a photo of the boiler and pipe work,so i took this as you was not interested in the job...with regards to getting the boiler fitted on the cheap it was a family friend that done it and i was not to know it should of been powerflushed so i assumed that it was fitted correctly....To anyone that wants to offer advice,
after having the plate and filter fitted the problem is still there so i can only assume that the fault lies somewhere else??
would it still be worth getting a powerflush or will the chemicals and new filter eventually clear the system??

The symptoms sounded like a blocked plate but before doing any work a good engineer would measure the flow and return temps on DHW to confirm the fault.

It may be a sensor failing when hot. Do the lights ever give a any fault code?

It can also be incorrect gas settings which an engineer at the boiler should have checked.

I had quoted £136 to diagnose and clean the plate HE if required. I would have supplied a TF1 for £85 and fitted for £35.

As an afterthought, associated with power flushing, you mentioned its on microbore which does not usually respond well to power flushing and I took a while to think about that.

Tony

tony thanks
i think you may have hit the nail on the head looking at the lights when i run the hot tap the middle light turns red and the right light green and they both flash in unison,looking at the manual it seems its a faulty dhw temp probe??
i would have thought the plumber who changed the he plate should have spotted this before changing the plate,so it appears i may have changed the plate for no reason??
o well i still have the genuine part so that can go on e-bay...
is a probe an easy fix??

The DHW sensor costs about £10 and you could probably change it yourself!

The engineer should have checked the flow and returns before replacing the plate HE.

BUT it could be argued that you had asked him to fit the plate and he was just carrying out your instructions!

I had quite an argument with a BBC lady at Shepherd's Bush who asked me to replace the pump 'because someone told her it was faulty' but strangely did not want to change it himself. I refused to change it until I had diagnosed the fault.

She apologised when I fixed it by replacing the PCB..

Tony

hi thanks for your help tony.
i have changed the dhw thermister probe but the fault is still there, it looks like the fault lights are saying its the ch temperature probe not the dhw probe,now if it is the ch probe would this cause the hot water to to keep going hot then cold??
if it would then ill buy one of those and give it a try(is it a different probe to the dhw one i just bought?) if not then ill try to get biasi out under warrentee...

Its up to you to correctly decode the indication lights. I assumed you had done that correctly. I dont remember fault codes as they are not very important to me because I measure the resistance of sensors to diagnose faults.

BOTH sensors have an effect on DHW !

They are both the same!

You can use the one you have removed to replace the CH sensor.

Tony

tony
boiler is once again in full working order with permenant hot water..
all it was was a £5.99 probe !!! the one i removed was totally black!
thanks for your advice..i guess next time theres a fault ill call the profesionals out or at least start replacing the cheapest part first as i bought a new plate he,and fitted the tf1 filter..so this has cost me best part of £300 although the mag filter is a very good addition and is working wonders...

I expect that I could have come to you and sorted out the fault far quicker had you asked me and for probably about £116 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back